• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Such a terrible owner, Pudding's hurt himself :'(

chloemurray

Warren Veteran
For those who don't know, Pudding lives in a pen in my room. He escapes the pen sometimes but has never done any damage and normally just falls asleep on my bed.

This afternoon I went out to the hospital for an appointment and when I came back Pud was laying on the floor of his pen with his back foot tangled in a carrier bag handle. It looks like he jumped onto my bed, then my desk where the carrier bag of hay was, and slipped off... falling back into the pen and getting his leg caught on the bag.

He's booked in at the vets, just got to wait for my mum to get home (My vets won't see under 18's without a guardian), and he is putting some weight on the leg and moving around, and eating a lot.

I haven't stopped crying though, I feel so guilty and like I don't deserve pets.

Just wanted some vibes that his leg will be okay really :(

If he's eating and able to move it, don't panic! He's probably pulled it a bit but the fact that he's eating is a fantastic sign.

It's not your fault, you don't expect these things. Animals do sometimes hurt themselves, the same as people do. We do everything we can to prevent it, but it's not always possible.

I hope the vets goes well

Big hugs, you are a good owner and the proof is the fact that you are taking him to the vet. Rabbits are quite sturdy, here's hoping he will only need somemetacam and bedrest.

I know the feeling, I felt terrible when Bella slipped and dislocated her hip and blamed myself as well. But rabbits are prone to accidents, especially norty ones! Sending vibes for your little one xxx :)

Apple had to have her eyelid reconstructed when she escaped from her pen and ran amok in my lounge. I felt awful that she was hurt and Sam (Bluesmum) came over to help me rig up a bigger and escape-proof crate/pen but she is still getting out.

Some buns are just norty - like children - and all we can do is keep them as safe as we can, whilst still allowing them to be bunnies.

Thankyou everyone for your vibes, Pudding didn't like the car journey but miraculously could walk perfectly well when we got to the vets:roll::lol:

The vet was happy that he had no circulatory problems from the accident and at worst, is just a bit bruised. He's had a small dose of metacam and is now sat in his box eating hay happy as larry:lol:

Hey,
Sounds like just one of those things! I had an escapabun with Ruby until I got her a pen which is over 4ft high- no escaping from that! I got it off EBay, I think it was £45. Don't know if you have any savings. Hope your bunny is ok!
S xx

Awwww don't blame yourself for Pud being mischievous lol. My 3 are forever doing things that they shouldn't do and are constantly sliding on the laminate in to things (they never learn no mater how many times they do it and you tell them not to lol)

Really glad that Pud is ok, lets hope he's learnt something from it and doesn't do it again

x

Back