• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

overgrown deformed teeth

happyhoppers

New Kit
Hi there, im new to this forum, just finding my way around it.

A friend of mine has a lop and like a lot of rabbits it has wonky from teeth which have to be trimmed every 6 to 8 weeks. Once cipped its fine, I have checked it over as ive never met the bunny before and whilst there I trimmed another of her rabbits claws. This rabbit is otherwise healthy, happy bunny.

The vet has just told her , to save keep coming back and paying £20 she can be booked in to have the teeth taken out?

Now I personally think this is not the way to go, how on earth is that rabbit going to eat properly? ive had rabbits 30 odd years and have veterinary experience but ive never heard this ever done.

I am a non judgemental person but this has shocked :shock: me, I wouldnt do it myself if my bunny was fine having them clipped and appears ok.

It sounds barberic to me, :( she has been quoted 160 pounds and this rabbit is her baby, totally loved.

Any opinions please , would be appreciated, havent had a chance to wander around the forum completely yet to see if its ever been brought up before. Why tamper with stuff if its working fine.

I am assuming that you are referring to Incisors. Removal of these is very much common place in bunnies with malocclusion. My own bunny has no front Incisors.

Rabbits can cope well with Incisor removal and the only adjustment that I need to make with Herbie is cutting up his veg into bite sized pieces or thin strips.

The op is not always 100% successful and often some teeth can grow back. My Herbie has had the op done twice. He was no trouble when he got his teeth burred (which is what should be done, they should NEVER be clipped as this can cause breakage and infection), but I went for the op to reduce his vet visits in the long run.

Plenty of rabbits have naughty wonky teeth removed. If the teeth are bad it can be better for the bunny in the long run, rather than regular trips to the vets that can stress them out. Toothless bunnies do very well, they just have to have their veg cut up small.
If you have a look through the forum you will find more info on this.

My rabbit Grimlock had his removed. They were growing completely wonky and too long. He's thrived without them. My sister's rabbit Dexter also had his out. I found him in a pet shop with his teeth growing straight out of his mouth. They let me have him for free and his teeth were removed at 13 weeks old. As his were done so young you wouldn't even realise. He eats everything, hay, greens, everything in the garden. He only needs hard foods cut up into small pieces for him but things like cabbage he just shoves the whole leaf into his mouth until it reaches his back teeth and then eats them. :love:

The only thing you have to worry about is as rabbits teeth grow constantly, even if there is a little but of tooth left they might regrow, or parts of them might regrow. On of Grim's upper incisors grew back and he had to have it removed again. But overall he's happier.

And I don't know how the vet is trimming his teeth but just to let you know clipping them is not the best way to do it and can cause the roots to shatter and cause abscesses. Burring them down is the safest way to do it. :wave:

hi

Hi

Thank you very much for the replies, I will pass it on, I guess its up to her then really to decide what she should do, we all have are own opinions on things. The rabbit is 3 years old and yes its the top front inscissors. Its just that if it makes the rabbit worse off or if anything changes how happy he is, she would never forgive herself.

Thanks again

Thanks so much for the updates

Thanks people

Will ring her and find out more details, ive not seen the teeth overgrown so don't know how bad they actually get, I said id go and see just before she has them done again. Things have certainly moved forwards from when I started having rabbits all those years ago.

Thanks ever so much again

Nothing to add to what others had to say, but wanted to say :thumb: for coming and seeking out help, even though you had different ideas :)

Thank you

Thankyou for your honest opinions, you all appear very nice on this forum so far, believe me, the ones ive been on are not so nice, full of critisism (cant spell)..

Thankyou for your honest opinions, you all appear very nice on this forum so far, believe me, the ones ive been on are not so nice, full of critisism (cant spell)..

Oh we are not always nice! Stick around and you will see some heated debates over some silly things!! haha!

Nah, really, it is good when people ask advice and listen to what others have to say :)

Thanks people

Will ring her and find out more details, ive not seen the teeth overgrown so don't know how bad they actually get, I said id go and see just before she has them done again. Things have certainly moved forwards from when I started having rabbits all those years ago.

Thanks ever so much again

Oh, it certainly has. I've had rabbits for 16 years and I'm doing everything differently. :lol:

hi

When youve had rabbits as long as me which is an eternity, my dad started me off when I was 2 yrs old and I cleaned them out e t c. I know how debates get , im on gpig forums and there are some challenging people, but we are all entitled to our opinions and life would be boring if we all agreed every time.

Look forward to having a look around

Bye for now

There are lots of threads about front toothless rabbits on the forum, I have added some of the links from ones I have found.

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...y-bunnys-through-op&highlight=front+toothless

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...eth-Remove-Teeth!-!&highlight=front+toothless

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...t-or-not-to-extract&highlight=front+toothless

I used to be involved with a rabbit rescue and we often got rabbits in who had very overgrown front teeth, having these removed often gave the rabbits a far better quality of life, reduced pain and reduced the amount of vet visits and anaesthetics that they had to be put through. It is definately worth considering

Back