• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I want to rescue a rabbit, but ...

Angie B

Wise Old Thumper
... hubby says no :(

The bunny in question is owned by a lady who has mental problems. She has 24 hour live-in care but the carers are paid to look after the humans, not any animals they may have (can you imagine the scenario - "how come she's burnt herself, where were you?" "Looking after the bunny." "Mmm; you're sacked!"). The carers however have to remind this lady to feed her pet :shock: and give it water :shock: so heaven knows if it's fed properly :? . She herself bought it and paid a fortune for the "massive, regal" hutch but simply can't look after it properly. It bites her because of the rough handling she gives it - in fact to pick it up she - brace yourselves - throws her coat over it, bundles it up and then sticks it in the run :shock: :censored: No wonder the poor mite bites. (and that's out the mouth of one of her carers who I'm friends with).

Anyway, the carers have finally realised that a bunny is not for her and are trying to persuade her to give it up :thumb: . I'd have it like a shot, as it lives in a shed outdoors and would probably come with this enormous hutch which would fit on our patio. The only problem would be night time as I don't have room in the shed for another hutch and my 2 girls' hutch isn't big enough for 3 bunnies, plus they've never met anyway so would need bonding and all that.

Hubby says no because - and he's right I suppose - I'd spend too much time trying to win new bunny's trust and therefore could possibly neglect our 2 girls. Also we'd have the added extra expense - it would need a vet check plus all its jabs as I doubt very much it's had any at all.

I have suggested that they contact Rabbit Rehome in Middlesbrough. The bunny came from Pets at Home and hubby suggested taking it back, but from what I've read, I'd rather it go to a proper place like RR in M'boro.

Her carer would have it as she's had rabbits in the past, but with her job she sleeps away from home so doesn't have the spare time for a rabbit, and her kids, though 18ish, aren't interested, so it would be just as unfair on the bun for her to have it.

Can't do anything about it, such a shame, just needed to let off steam.

Last edited:
The bunny doesnt need to be in a shed at night, a hutch is fine as long as you get a cover made for it. But I understand what your husband is saying, your current pets have to be the priority when making a decision like this.... Even so I dont think having another rabbit would cause you to neglect your two.

I guess there's nothing you can do really, rescues are full to bursting.

I saw a poster in my vets yesterday, two rabbits free to a good home, one of them 10 years old. I feel so sorry for them and hope they dont go as snake food, but I cant really do anything to help as I'm moving soon :(

The bunny doesnt need to be in a shed at night, a hutch is fine as long as you get a cover made for it. But I understand what your husband is saying, your current pets have to be the priority when making a decision like this.... Even so I dont think having another rabbit would cause you to neglect your two.

I guess there's nothing you can do really, rescues are full to bursting.

I saw a poster in my vets yesterday, two rabbits free to a good home, one of them 10 years old. I feel so sorry for them and hope they dont go as snake food, but I cant really do anything to help as I'm moving soon :(

Hugo's There on here runs rainbow rabbits rescue for sick and elderly buns - might be worth a PM to see if they can take them?

Back