• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Soo excited...... Flopsy gave birth last night.

Sammyj7

New Kit
Flopsy gave birth last night...... When we were asleep :? Had been pacing the garden all yesterday just in case but no had to wait till I gave up.
Anyway came down this morning to a beautiful nest which she had rearranged for the 10th time! She has pulled lots of fur and covered them well, the only way I know is because the fur is moving.
But I can't see how many if they are all alive etc.... I was worried about this before.

I have read so many different things yes check kits. No don't touch them etc and had done lots of research before letting her bread, but now it's here I am now questioning my self what I should do so any advice would be grateful.

She is in a large hutch out side and has made the nest in the bed section, but the bed section has a top over it which is now were Flopsy is sitting/sleeping so can't see over the nest ( hope you get what I mean!)

So do I just leave them or hunt through the nest to see if there alive etc..

There's a great sticky on caring for accidental litters here :wave:

Yes, you can check the nest and remove any babies that have died. Just stroke mummy and rub your hands in her bedding first to make sure they don't smell different. Distract mummy with a tasty treat while you check.

Make sure mum has plenty of hay to eat and extra food to help her feed the babies.
Perhaps it would be a good idea to give a little fresh spinach too as it's high in calcium to help her make milk. And alfalfa hay is high in protein.

Thanks for the advice :) we managed to only get her hand in the nest yesterday as its right in the back corner..... But we felt 4 and they were all warm and larger than I expected.

Came down this morning and wow Flopsy had made the nest huge by using hay and straw which is completely taking over the bed compartment and moved her food bowl in there!!

Our Daughters on the way back from the shop with spinach for her :D

You now need to check in and under the nest in case there are any dead kits. They could introduce infection and disease so need to be removed.

Congratulations on your bun's birth :)
My Rex had hers a week ago today she hadnt had them in the morn when i checked so i left her when i went shopping, came home and she had them while i was out .. i checked them over after giving mom a stroke and giving her some more hay and veg to keep her distracted .. sadly there was one dead Kit so i removed him/her and checked the rest of the nest, after making sure they were all good i covered them back up and left them to it .. i check them in the morning and again before bed time.
My bun has not had a problem with me checking on them and is more bothered if i go near her veg than her babies haha but she is a great momma :) .. she goes and checks on them when im finished and makes sure they are covered to her standards haha.
Good luck! its amazing to see how much they change in a small amount of time :)

Hope mum and babies continue to do well ...

kepp her diet as much near normal as possible but gradualy increase her greens a little .

yes you need to check for dead kits and remove them.

please keep dad away from mum as they can get pregnant again straight away .. and please think carefully before allowing her to have more babies .. :(

Last edited:
Hope mum and babies continue to do well ...

kepp her diet as much near normal as possible but gradualy increase her greeds a little .

yes you need to check for dead kits and remove them.

please keep dad away from mum as they can get pregnant again straight away .. and please think carefully before allowing her to have more babies .. :(

:thumb::thumb:

Dad isn't with Flopsy.
and we were only ever going to let her have 1 litter then she's off to the vets before she's allowed out with the boys!!

Check for any dead kits and increase the amount of food. Check the kits once or twice a day to make sure mum is feeding them and that they are healthy and growing. Mum should be able to take care of the rest :)

Well we were very lucky and have had no dead kits :) we have been checking the nest twice aday and baby's seem to be doing very well and Flopsy is a brilliant mum.

We have 5 baby's they are starting to get the fur now, we are going to wait till day 10/12 and take all the babies out and put hem in to a nesting basket thing we got today.... We will use most of there nest and fur. So we can give the hutch a nice clean and place the nesting basket back in.

I'm glad Flopsy is doing well.

You're right in that everything needs to be cleaned once they open their eyes, however, you need to salvage as much of the nest as possible and place it exactly where it came from. Moving it into a nestbox at this stage would not be smart or sensible, plus, the majority of the reason that a nestbox is advised is related to prior to when they open their eyes, by which point that time has gone. The nest box now would not be advisable and, if you were going to use one, should have been placed in there way before she gave birth (say on roughly day 28). In my opinion only.

Glad the Kits and mom are doing well! :) .. i placed a litter box in the hutch for Katy when she was due days before her due date she clearly didnt want it so made her own nest away from the box, i removed the nest box for more room as she wasnt using it and the kits are all happy and healthy where they are.

Thanks for the replys......

Think I might not bother with the basket thing, I will give it to one of the other rabbits as its an edible basket thing just thought it might of made them more comfy :D

Glad Flopsy and her babies are doing well.

Are you going to keep all the babies? I adopted a Mum and two of her babies from a rescue when I volunteered there. I had worked with them since they were very, very tiny and it was wonderful to bring the trio home and to watch the babies grow up. Sadly, both of the babies are now at the bridge, but I still have the Mum, Molly.

I would love to foster a pregnant doe and care for her and her babies - but am not sure if I would then be able to let the little ones go to new homes:oops:

Last edited:
Glad Flopsy and her babies are doing well.

Are you going to keep all the babies? I adopted a Mum and two of her babies from a rescue when I volunteered there. I had worked with them since they were very, very tiny and it was wonderful to bring the trio home and to watch the babies grow up. Sadly, both of the babies are now at the bridge, but I still have the Mum, Molly.

I would love to foster a pregnant doe and care for her and her babies - but am not sure if I would then be able to let the little ones go to new homes:oops:

I think we are just giving 2 away and going to keep the rest :) the 2 we are giving away are to family members....... So I can keep an eye on them :lol:

That's my problem am far to soft and love all my bunnies so so much :love: if they weren't going to family members I think I would keep them all :thumb:

Congratulations on your litter.
Mine are just a day younger than yours. Betty had 6.
It's nice that you've decided to keep some and give others to your family.
I have a few people I know very well listed down for mine, all of them already own some rabbits and guinea pigs.
I'm going to probably keep one myself....maybe two...:love:

Back