• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How much blood has he/she lost??? (A tip I want to share)

Anniebirdy

Alpha Buck
When we see blood on, or from our beloved pet, it's so easy to panic, dash down to the vet, without having a CLUE how much blood has been lost. IF you can give your vet a pretty reasonable idea, he can then do a weight/bloodloss ratio and this can help him greatly when he is deciding on what treatment the animal needs, if any.

This is one of my tips from my own first aid book that i like to refer too. I didnt think of it, found it when i was researching, but I like it :thumb:

You will need a few plastic syringes, from one mil to 20 mil, some cochineal food colourant (any colour, red, blue green, doesn't matter)
a jug of water, newspaper or plain whit paper and splash/stain resistant surfaces (I found the best way to proceed with what Im gpoing to tell you was to do it in the empty bath) an off-cut of carpet, an old white towel.
Fill jug with water.
Add food colourant till water quite dark.
Fill a 1mil syringe with this.
Squirt it straight onto the bottom of the bath. Have a good look at how far it spreads and runs, then repeat two or three times until you are fairly confident that you will quite readily recognise a imil blood drip/splash on your lino floor, shiny step, cage floor/shed floor if tiled...
Then still with the 1mil, fill up again, and squirt it garelessly against the side of the bath. Note how it looks, and repeat till farely confident that ylou will recognise a 1mil splash of blood on a tiled wall, varnished/glossed door, cupboard door or side.
Next, squirt neatly onto towel.
Then haphazardly on towel. repeat both till confident enough...
Then squirt onto paper/newspaper. see what one mil of 'blood' looks like on slightly absorbant paper.
I think you will know where this is going now :)
basically, PLAY with the syringes, working your way up through the sizes.
Do this as often as you want, do it when you're bored, do it for the hell of doing it.
You WILL, in time, have a very good idea the instant you see blood from an injury to your animal approximately how much blood has been lost.
It could even prove a life saver :thumb:

That is ingenious. Thanks for sharing that valuable tip. I need to start practicing as I do tend to freak when I see blood and just says "gallons" of blood. :oops:

What a fabulous idea, never even thought of doing something like that! I'm sure that will come in handy for quite a lot of people on here! :wave:

Back