• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Been to 2 Aussie pets shops. One a big chain. They sell rabbit/ginea pig food as one

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Easter Saturday my friend and I took her daughter shopping for her birthday at a Westfields. We walked past a pet shop and I saw young bunnies for sale. It wasn't too bad. The shop offered free delivery if you bought a large hutch with a rabbit. They had on display the set up you should have for a rabbit, the food, hay, toys, litter tray etc. I didn't actually look at the food close enough as the shop was packed. I wanted to stay longer and ask questions but my friend was pushed for time.

On the weekend I went to Melbourne and stayed with my sister. She has a pet rabbit named Rocky. She is gorgeous and it was so good to cuddle a bunny. She is well looked after and loved, but .... she had no hay. :shock: I had to educate my sister and family on rabbit care, health, food etc. Firstly she though rabbits only lived for a year. :shock: She is very pleased she will live from 8 to 12.

Anyway I was determined to get her hay. Didn't bother seeing Melbourne on the 2nd day, I wanted to find a pet shop. Found the equivalent to P@H. Ummmmm all the food and I mean every single packet of food for rabbits and guinea pigs is in one packet. I found a very helpful and informed member of staff, who said they only use the bits that they can both eat. She did realise they should have a different diet. Still not convinced. Anyway she showed me the hay as I was going to buy this bale, but she said its best for bedding not eating. So I got a large bag of oat hay and alfalfa nibbles.

When I got back to my sisters she said I had a feeling you would come back with hay. :lol: Anyway I have told her about teeth and the importance of hay and she will make sure Rocky has a supply of hay. Also neutering and getting a partner, the risk of foxes - there is one in the field behind her and all the health needs for a bunny.

This was the chain store.
http://www.petbarn.com.au/products/small-animal

This is one of the food mixes I saw.

http://www.getprice.com.au/Rabbit-Guinea-Pig-Food-Mix-3kg-Gpnc_442--54282321.htm

Last edited:
Back