• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Arthritis and old age!

CharlotteMc

Mama Doe
My dwarf lop Penny isabout 7 years old now! dont know exactly:L and he has lost quite abit of weight and cant move her back legs as well as she use to. she is still eating and drinking and her eyes are bright! i put her in the run today and she fell on her side while trying to hop. I am going tobook her in at the vets when my mum gets in from work! Could this be arthrits and just her being at an old age?

Osteoarthritis is usually progressive and so you would normally see a gradual decrease in mobility and increase in stiffness and other pain related symptoms. It sounds more like your bun may be exhibiting signs of an acute EC flare up or another neurological issue. Good luck at the vets x

Osteoarthritis is usually progressive and so you would normally see a gradual decrease in mobility and increase in stiffness and other pain related symptoms. It sounds more like your bun may be exhibiting signs of an acute EC flare up or another neurological issue. Good luck at the vets x
thank you! i hope it isnt EC or neurological problem, i lost my last bunny to that :roll:

Dylan has arthritis in his back legs. His mobility increased considerably once he was put on a daily dose of metacam - he now climbs the ramp in his two storey hutch :)

Hope it's good news for your bun too.

I am the same as Rhianna, my Inca has arthritis (amongst other things) and is on daily Metacam, which allows her to get about much better.

Ditto what prettylupin and others have said, but I'd also get the vet to check her over for bladder or kidney problems. In my experience both bladder and kidney disease cause loss of muscle around the rear end and wobbliness.

Good luck

Heather has arthritis and it literally came on over night, she did exactly as you have described - falling to the side while in the run but otherwise bright and eating well.

She was immediately put on metacam and after about a week started to improve :D

Back