• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Calcifer

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum !

Last thursday I got Calcifer (a netherland dwarf) for my birthday! He is soooo cute!!!
He is 10 weeks old and I am actually not sure if he is a boy or a girl (hehe).
He started to binky on my bed haha at first I thought something was wrong - but he started to do it more and I looked it up so now I know what it is!
He also likes to explore a lot and do little spurts of running.
When I am eating food he loves to come over and check it out. :love:

He also really enjoys running on my laptop keys for some odd reason :shock::p
haha

Just wanted to share him with you all!!

72991_3606110162296_1559915953_3073472_1387431767_n.jpg

94c39f04880711e180d51231380fcd7e_7.jpg

hiding under my legs

Hi and welcome! Awh, he/she is adorable! When you take him to the vets (that is if you are getting him neutured or vaccinated!) just ask the nurse/vet to check, or if it gets to say 16-18 weeks and you havent taken him to vets yet, he should have a pair of plums if he's a boy! you might already know this, but it is highly highly recommended to get them neutured and vaccinated :thumb:

Thanks everyone!!!

Yea, JemimaH, I definitely do want to get him/her fixed. I have an appointment this saturday just to get him checked out. He has been itching his ears a lot which has been worrisome since I read about ear mites! eek! Does anyone know if those mites can get humans too? I have no idea how he got them since he is indoors only. But we do have a cat and dog and heard they are highly contagious.

Yes! His name is from Howl's Moving Castle haha! If it's a girl I decided her name will be Ponyo. If you can't already tell I am a Huuuge Miyazaki fan! :D

Does anyone have any recommendations for toys? I read about toilet paper rolls but he didnt seem to care about it - same with chew sticks. :?

Toys? They're only limited by your fantasy! Instead of chewing sticks from a shop you could give him fresh twigs. Mine won't really bother if the bark is not still green! There's a list of safe plants in this forum in Diet & Digestion. Be careful with fresh food as he's so young.
Other toys include willow wicker balls, plushie dolls (get the kind for newborn babies so there's nothing he can chew off), treat balls, you name it!
My two looooove a cardboard box, either packed up like a house with two holes for coming and going or filled up with paper strips, hay and treats so they can dig. Other good suggestions are tunnels; rabbits love to hide and to explore! If you look in the forums you'll find lots of ideas. Each rabbit has his own preferences in toys so experiment with different things and see what he likes best.

Thanks everyone!!!

Yea, JemimaH, I definitely do want to get him/her fixed. I have an appointment this saturday just to get him checked out. He has been itching his ears a lot which has been worrisome since I read about ear mites! eek! Does anyone know if those mites can get humans too? I have no idea how he got them since he is indoors only. But we do have a cat and dog and heard they are highly contagious.

Yes! His name is from Howl's Moving Castle haha! If it's a girl I decided her name will be Ponyo. If you can't already tell I am a Huuuge Miyazaki fan! :D

Does anyone have any recommendations for toys? I read about toilet paper rolls but he didnt seem to care about it - same with chew sticks. :?

Me too! :D Was very close to calling my hamster Calcifer :lol:

Back