• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

bisc's heel has been bleeding

biscandmatt1

Wise Old Thumper
he has a small worn away patch of fur on each heel but it looks like this heel has cracked and bled. it's not much blood but it happened last august aswell when he got a piece of sharp hay stuck in his heel.

the vet said to ring him if it happened again so o/h has just rang but the vet has gone home for the day but he has been left a message to ring us in the morning so we'll see what he wants to do this time.

poor bisc.

thanks jane.

we emailed a pic to the vet and then he rang and o/h spoke to him. it is a sore hock on his back left foot. it's in the early stages and not too bad luckily. but we have to bathe it with either cooled boiled water or cooled boiled salt water once a day, and put either vaseline or norweigan formula cream on it. and we only bathe it once a day but we can put the cream or vaseline on 2-3 times a day. but only wash it once a day so it doesn't dry out too much and crack anymore.

we are doing this for a few days and then see how it is looking and ring the vet back and take bisc in if it isn't looking any better.

he doesn't need antibiotics at this stage or any increase in his metacam either. bisc is sensitive so his tummy has become a bit more sensitive because his foot is tender so we're keeping an eye on that and he has maxolon here anyway for when he gets a bit gassy.

his heel already looks better today than yesterday so i'm hopeful it will heal well over the next few days. he does have an ok amount of fur over it. it is less than it should be but at least there is some fur there.

Wee soul wae the sore footsie :(

Inca gets sore hocks now and again. I have found Sudocrem to work well when they are only at the reddish stage.

Would it be worth doing a dressing Lady Lydia style?

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...ia-Anti-Pressure-Dressing-For-Rexy-Sore-Hocks

I hope it heals soon.

the vet did say it may come to that stage at some point if it does keep getting worse, but for now we are hoping this will heal well and then we will have to keep an eye on it. i've been washing all their padded blankets aswell for more support for bisc. so it's about trying to manage it for now. and i hope it doesn't get worse but it may well crack every so often.

he has always had the worn away part on his heels, which matt has aswell. but last august bisc got a piece of sharp hay stuck into that area and he pulled it out and it poured with blood. it was much worse then and healed well so i;m hoping this time it does aswell. fingers crossed.

the vet did say it may come to that stage at some point if it does keep getting worse, but for now we are hoping this will heal well and then we will have to keep an eye on it. i've been washing all their padded blankets aswell for more support for bisc. so it's about trying to manage it for now. and i hope it doesn't get worse but it may well crack every so often.

he has always had the worn away part on his heels, which matt has aswell. but last august bisc got a piece of sharp hay stuck into that area and he pulled it out and it poured with blood. it was much worse then and healed well so i;m hoping this time it does aswell. fingers crossed.

Please keep us up to date with how it is healing.:wave::wave:

just caught bisc eating the blanket and found blood on it. only two small spots and one slightly bigger very watered down blood. :? i've just checked his heel again and most of it looks a bit better except one edge was cracked so that was where the blood must have come from. i put some vaseline on it and he didn't like me touching it.

he seems fine in himself. he's been jumping about today which is good but then i'm worrying he is going to make it crack again. hopefully the vaseline will help that.

i'm confused because he has an ok amount of fur there. i had to part the fur to get to the sore area. :?

anyway, i'll see how it is in the morning when i wash it again.

just caught bisc eating the blanket and found blood on it. only two small spots and one slightly bigger very watered down blood. :? i've just checked his heel again and most of it looks a bit better except one edge was cracked so that was where the blood must have come from. i put some vaseline on it and he didn't like me touching it.

he seems fine in himself. he's been jumping about today which is good but then i'm worrying he is going to make it crack again. hopefully the vaseline will help that.

i'm confused because he has an ok amount of fur there. i had to part the fur to get to the sore area. :?

anyway, i'll see how it is in the morning when i wash it again.

Are you sure that there is no infection ?

I would be more inclined to clean it and put something other than vaseline on it if the skin is broken. Like maybe fusciderm from the vets? Manuka honey would also be good if you had any.....when Inca had infected cuts on her feet I would put on Manuka Honey then put a baby sock on her foot to stop her licking it off :)

bisc's heel looks much better today. the area around it is much less red and the sore area is smaller aswell.

it doesn't look infected.

the vet said vaseline would be fine, but we could also use the norweigan formula cream and that would be better. we have been using cooled boiled water but we can also use salt water.

it seems to be doing fine with what we are using now. but o/h is going to get some natural sea salt and some of the cream to have here aswell.

bisc seems fins in himself so that's good.

Hope Biscs hock is a little better...sounds sore...

Could you post a pic? Just wondering if Im being paranoid as my girls have little bumps...like heel bits and some dandruff bits....:? thanks;)

so happy with how bisc's heel is doing. it's much much better today. now it looks just like his other heel - like a small worn away patch - but it has a few little spots that look like pin ****** but i think they will be gone by tomorrow. the area around it isn't red at all now. so that's good.

i forgot to take a pic today but i will try and get one in the morning when the light is a bit better.

o/h bought natural sea salt and the cream today so i bathed it with the salt water but have stayed using vaseline for now.

his heel was about 95% better and then i caught him pulling at it! now it's gone backwards by a few days so we've upgraded to the cream now instead of vaseline. bad news is that he was also pulling at his other heel and when i checked it looked quite red, although not cracked yet so i put some cream on that aswell to try and stop it cracking.

it's been about a week now so we're trying the cream now for a bit and then if it isn't right we're ringing the vet again and then taking bisc in.

this cream is really good. much better than the vaseline. the vaseline was clearing it up, but maybe not as quick as i would have liked. the cream seems to have done what a few days vaseline did. both heels are looking a bit better. so lets hope it continues. the thing is that bisc is always on the move! sprinting and binkying. it's good he's happy but i keep telling him to rest his heels :lol:

Back