• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Runny eye : (

Poor Pixie was back at the vets last night, her eyes are still runing but no pus which is good. She has had eye drops for 10 days now and has now been given Baytril twice daily for 5 days so I'm really hoping this will clear it up - has anyone had sucess with Baytril for runny eyes?? I'm taking her back to the vets on Saturday for another check up and if eyes are no better they are going to knock her out and xray along with doing her teeth too if thats' the problem. Her teeth have been looked at and seem ok but you never know if one might be bothering her. My vet is reluctant to put her under GA as she has (and always has had) a very snuffuly nose with no discharge but she sounds like a guina pig when she is very stressed. She's fine when at home and is eating and running around as normal. Please send vibes for her, I really hate her to be like this. The vet has tried a couple of times to flush out the tear duct but with no luck as she is so wriggley! In a way, I hope they take her in on Sat and sedate her just to get to the bottom of the problem but I'm worried about the GA too.

It sounds like it could be the roots of the molars blocking the tear ducts, so even though the eyes are running they're not infected. Only an x ray can really tell, but it might be something she lives with and you have to watch as she will be more prone to infections.

It could be snuffles. I'm not an expert on it but one of my rabbits has just been diagnosed with it and we have started a course of baytril which I hope works. If it is snuffles the baytril or another antibiotic might make a difference but the vet should really take a culture from her nose to confirm that.

Of course the other thing it could be are molar spurs but Jenova has explained that.

Pixie is due back at the vets on Sat now for an xray and to have her teeth rasped if they are the problem to her sore eyes. In the meantime I'm having real trouble wiping the crusty bits of fur at the corner of her eyes, I've tried weak cold tea, very luke warm water, holding wet pads to her eyes but still the fur is 'sticky and hard'. I know I really need to get this off as it's not helping her but was wondering if I can use baby shampoo - very very spearingly of course, do you think that would help?? I'm so worried about her as she's not taking the baytrill either and refuses anything I put it on or in, I'm going to try mixing it with ribena so hopfully that will help but I've tried everything including; basil and other herbs, nice tasty dandelion, apple, banana, strawberry and even her favoirte of all fibreplex paste too with no luck as she just sticks her nose in the air (she usually eats everything and is never fussy). Any advice would be welcome as I'm so worried.

I would not advise using any chemicals around a rabbit's eyes. You could try a chemical free vegetable or herbal soap that is mild and designed for babies. Otherwise I'd recommend wetting the fur that has hardened. It will be a time consuming process as you take a sponge or cloth that has been soaked in warm water and keep wetting the fur. If you have a small comb you can use that to comb through the wet fur and comb the crust bits out but beware of tugging and only do it once the fur is wet all the way through.

As for baytril. I usually 'force' my rabbits to take oral baytril. It sounds horrible but it is for their own good. If you can wrap Pixie in a towel and hold her upright whilst someone else skooshes the medicine into the side of her mouth that might work. I would not use ribena because its high in vitamin C and sugar.

However if she is refusing all food it might not be wise to give her baytril in case she is suffering from stasis in which case it is really best to take her to the vet.

I think at this stage she needs a GA for a more in depth examination for her eyes but only if she is not suffering from stasis or bloat. That would have to be ruled out or treated first as it could weaken her for any further treatment.

I'd try and get her seen today as quickly as possible.

Poppy is at the vets right now having her tear ducts flushed. I was scared it was time for another dental but she was okay. We took her yesterday because her sneezing was getting worse and sounded snotty but she wasn't having the general symptoms so the vet has ruled out snuffles. The vet said her tear ducts are working over time because of the roots of her teeth, (her teeth are terrible but they are as good as they can be!) so hopefully this will stop the sneezing or at least calm it down some more. She didn't sneeze once when we got home yesterday though :roll::lol: When she had them flushed the first time her eye got better but lately it has become a lot more runny so flushing it will help :) at least for a while :)

Thank you so much for your replies guys, it really helps. She is still eating normally but just nothing that has got meds on it :roll: I will spend a lot longer soaking her eye fur tonight so I'm hoping this will help as the areas now look sore. Poor sweethart she's fine in herself and is running around as if there's nothing wrong. I'm going to try and get her to the vet asap rather than wait till Sat, will let you know how it all goes. Thanks again guys :thumb:

Thank you so much for your replies guys, it really helps. She is still eating normally but just nothing that has got meds on it :roll: I will spend a lot longer soaking her eye fur tonight so I'm hoping this will help as the areas now look sore. Poor sweethart she's fine in herself and is running around as if there's nothing wrong. I'm going to try and get her to the vet asap rather than wait till Sat, will let you know how it all goes. Thanks again guys :thumb:

I read through your first post again, and when Poppy was little she had a runny eye (we now know it is from her teeth..) but the vet gave us eye drops and they obviously did nothing because it wasn't her eye at all :roll: That was the mega expensive vet too! They didn't even check her teeth but we don't use them anymore.. They tried to give us the most expensive meds all the time..

Hope she's alright :D

Runny eye - update

Hi everyone, Pixie has been in the vets today and it's good news, the xray showed nothing wrong with her teeth or roots which is great news. They flushed out her tear ducts and said they were blocked but are now running fine and are clear. I'm going to keep an eye on her and just take it day by day to see if they clogg up again. In the meantime I'm going to try adding a few drops of Echinacea to the drinking water to see if that helps. Just so pleased my darling is ok, can't wait to get her home as there are a few treats waiting for my brave girl :love:

Pixie is now home and coping well and seems really bright, I'm now having real problems getting meds in her. She is on Metacam and Baytrill along with eye drops. How on earth am I going to get the meds in her?? I've tried in herbs, wrapping her in a towel, graiting carrott, baby food etc she just wont take it at all now. I'm really worried now as she is just getting so very stressed when she sees me coming and just doesn't want anything from me! Poor sweethart she's been through a lot lately so I feel helpless and just don't know what to do for the best. She really doesn't seem to be in any pain and is eating pooing fine. I'd be really grateful for any advice :wave:

Yep, tried these with no luck. I've just been on the internet and it says to try apple sauce, I'm going to have a bash at making my own when I get home to see if that works - wish me luck as I've really run out of ideas now.

Pixie is now refusing any meds either on any food or directly and I'm really so worried she's not having her antibioitics for her tear duct infection. I've just called the vet and she is going in for an injection to cover her. Will the injection last longer than any oral antibiotic as she is going to get so very stressed when we take her there but now get's just as stressed when we try and give them to her oraly, I'm really at a loss of what to do as if the infection returns we're back to square one and after just receving a £300 bill I really don't want another one too early. But she is worth every single penny :love:

Back