• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How long have your pairs of M & F rabbits being bonded?

PippinWarren

Warren Scout
Just curious how long peoples M & F bonded pairs have been together......yes I'm nosey :lol: My 2 have only been bonded since October but I'm on the verge of splitting them.

They have not had a fight yet but really don't want it to get to that. Feel bad if I do seperate just incase its spring fever, feel bad if I don't and either one is un-happy.

I have a MFF trio and they definitely suffer with spring fever. There's quite a bit of humping, chasing and nipping this time of year (usually when food is on it's way) but they're ok.
I think the best thing to do is just keep a close eye on them and try and judge whether the behaviour is serious or not before thinking about splitting them :)

Hi Pippin, why are you thinking of splitting them?

My MF bonded pair were 'humping' all the time but were more than happy together. If they are grooming each other still I wouldnt worry?

I have a MFF trio and they definitely suffer with spring fever. There's quite a bit of humping, chasing and nipping this time of year (usually when food is on it's way) but they're ok.
I think the best thing to do is just keep a close eye on them and try and judge whether the behaviour is serious or not before thinking about splitting them :)

i have a MFF trio as well and at the moment the girls are constantly chasing nipping and fur pulling.. it doesn't seem too serious or last long and luckily Lula knows to keep out of Blousy's way when they are like this. it would have to be bad for me to seperate as Buddy my male would miss the one i took away and god knows which i'd remove. they do tend to settle after a couple weeks or so, they still sit together and eat together most of the time and just have spats of unease! so like you it is a case of keeping an eye on them.

My two have been together two and a half years. They get on well but they are not always together. They often sleep at opposite sides of the room and chase each other when it is pellet time.

Last night I caught Herbie trying to mount Inca, I stopped him.....dirty little boy! I think that this is typical spring fever!!!

1 year and 4/5 months my pair have been together :)

Right now, Miss Pumpkin is being moody and dominant due to spring fever... If there are no actual fight, I'd be inclined to leave them. Spring fever makes bunnies do strange things!

Hettie and Sweep have been together for just over 1 month, but while Misty was alive her and Sweep were very happily bonded for over 2.5 years with the only bit of chasing coming from referred aggression caused by holidaying bunnies (one jumped out of the door while I was filling the hay rack :roll: )

Hi Pippin, why are you thinking of splitting them?

My MF bonded pair were 'humping' all the time but were more than happy together. If they are grooming each other still I wouldnt worry?

Sorry will explain a bit more. They have never been in love as such (kissy kissy buns). M only grooms F now they used to share the workload in first couple of months but I think this is because M is in overdrive, everytime F moves M goes to hump.

They spend most time in seperate parts of playhouse and just literally co-habit which is not a problem but because M is constantly chasing F she is getting more & more agressive towards him. There has been nipping by F which has now developed to growling & F this week has started lunging forward with ears back at M.

If its spring fever I would have expected it to calm by now, this has been developing since Feb. I guess I'm just rubbish at reading them thats why I can't know for sure what to do.

I'm going to feel bad either way I think. Maybe time in seperate hutches side by side may help?

Honey and charlie have been bonded for about 6months but they had a blip in jan before she was neutered and separted then rebonded. all is good now though. they are closer than ever!:love:

I have 2 separate pairs which have been together for over 5 years. Scampi chases Lady Jane away when the food comes round but they love one another!

My 2 house buns have been together for over 6 years. They are soooo in love :love: My big french lop thinks he's the boss and chases Gypsy the lionhead at treat time, but outside Gypsy ( female ) does the chasing and even humps Storm :shock::lol:

Sorry will explain a bit more. They have never been in love as such (kissy kissy buns). M only grooms F now they used to share the workload in first couple of months but I think this is because M is in overdrive, everytime F moves M goes to hump.

They spend most time in seperate parts of playhouse and just literally co-habit which is not a problem but because M is constantly chasing F she is getting more & more agressive towards him. There has been nipping by F which has now developed to growling & F this week has started lunging forward with ears back at M.

If its spring fever I would have expected it to calm by now, this has been developing since Feb. I guess I'm just rubbish at reading them thats why I can't know for sure what to do.

I'm going to feel bad either way I think. Maybe time in seperate hutches side by side may help?

are both neutered? this could be part of the problem if not. :)

Little Miss and BB have been married since the 2nd week in Jan this year.
She wears the trousers and sometimes theyre in separate parts of the room, but she will charge at me if I give him a sweetie....

Roland and Mrs Bun have been together since Feb 2010....a lovely marriage.
I have no probs apart from greed....

i have a MFF trio as well and at the moment the girls are constantly chasing nipping and fur pulling.. it doesn't seem too serious or last long and luckily Lula knows to keep out of Blousy's way when they are like this. it would have to be bad for me to seperate as Buddy my male would miss the one i took away and god knows which i'd remove. they do tend to settle after a couple weeks or so, they still sit together and eat together most of the time and just have spats of unease! so like you it is a case of keeping an eye on them.

Same here, it's driving me insane. I think Evie is the main culprit in my trio but poor Archie has got a small bite mark on the edge of his ear. Not sure if he's caught it with his claws when he's been running up the stairs or if someones nipped it. The majority of the time they're all fine though followed by 60 seconds of chasing :roll:

Harry and heather have been together since 2005 without so much as a cross word between them, reading this thread makes me feel as if I've been very lucky!

Are they both neutered? If not, then that's the first thing to sort to resolve it. Assuming they are, I would take a couple of days to 'rebond' them, start from the premise that you have two unbonded rabbits and bring them to a small neutral territory and follow usual bonding rules. You might find that a few days in a confined space 'makes or breaks' their relationship. In many instances, if they just never bonded properly in the first place, going back to first principles and effectively bonding them again can make a huge difference. Alternatively, if their bond is breaking down and they are getting to hate each other, then that will also show - but don't take the first sign of aggression in a bonding pen as validation of this, as they will most likely behave differently in that environment anyway. I would want to 'referee' like a new bond for a while before deciding whether or not it's going to work. Good luck x

Harry and heather have been together since 2005 without so much as a cross word between them, reading this thread makes me feel as if I've been very lucky!

Are they both neutered? If not, then that's the first thing to sort to resolve it. Assuming they are, I would take a couple of days to 'rebond' them, start from the premise that you have two unbonded rabbits and bring them to a small neutral territory and follow usual bonding rules. You might find that a few days in a confined space 'makes or breaks' their relationship. In many instances, if they just never bonded properly in the first place, going back to first principles and effectively bonding them again can make a huge difference. Alternatively, if their bond is breaking down and they are getting to hate each other, then that will also show - but don't take the first sign of aggression in a bonding pen as validation of this, as they will most likely behave differently in that environment anyway. I would want to 'referee' like a new bond for a while before deciding whether or not it's going to work. Good luck x

Yes both are neutered and have been since before October. They did bond great at the begining its just I can see a steady breakdown. Oh how I long for them to be how they were at the start. I'm not particulary bothered about them being loved up....that would be a bonus. I just want them to be happy in the same environment.

Doh don't know why I didn't think of re-bonding, although I'm going to struggle for a neutral space as I now have a free ranging house bun.

My plan was initially going to be putting them in hutches with runs attached next door to each other and work it from there, I even considered introducing another F to make a trio so M would have less chance of cornering one girly.

Gosh they are so complex, if only buns spoke english, I just want them to tell me what they want and I will do it :lol:

Yes both are neutered and have been since before October. They did bond great at the begining its just I can see a steady breakdown. Oh how I long for them to be how they were at the start. I'm not particulary bothered about them being loved up....that would be a bonus. I just want them to be happy in the same environment.

Doh don't know why I didn't think of re-bonding, although I'm going to struggle for a neutral space as I now have a free ranging house bun.

My plan was initially going to be putting them in hutches with runs attached next door to each other and work it from there, I even considered introducing another F to make a trio so M would have less chance of cornering one girly.

Gosh they are so complex, if only buns spoke english, I just want them to tell me what they want and I will do it :lol:

Understatement of the year goes to..............:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Back