• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Laid back larger breeds? What should I get?

jay

Mama Doe
I have just been reading about different rabbit breeds and they generalise that larger breeds are more laid back...is this true? I have had two dutch rabbits, a lion head, a dwarf lop and a Chinchilla all of whom had different personalities but none could be described as "laid back" although most were rescues from awful situations.

I now have a three year old and he is great with Jack, my remaining dutch, who lives with my parents. We have decided we would like to get two bunnies but are wondering what to get. I want to get young rabbits as I want my son to have the experience of watching them grow and change. I want laid back rabbits who will be gentle with my son and also I would like to have a different breed to those I have had previously.

Does anyone have any advice....

No advice as such but bear in mind that larger rabbits will be heavier and if your son decides to pick it up and realises it's too heavy, he may just literally drop it.

Thanks Angie - he isn't allowed to pick Jack up and is fine with this. He just likes either sitting with him and stroking him or they chase each other round the garden.

Oh bless :) should be alright then.

Yes, I've heard larger breeds are more laid back - perhaps size is everything after all!

But then again, each bunny is different. My neighbour's rabbit is only a small one but let's you do anything to him, he is very amiable. Ours, on the other hand, only want you if you have food :? :roll: then they're all over us like a rash. No food, no fuss!!

My French lop, Storm, is wonderful, gentle and paitent around my son, and my son, River, can be very biosterous. Storm has never once lashed out and is so chilled in a house filled with chaos.
Gypsy, my lionhead, is more cautious and stays out of my sons way.

With this said, Another french lop could be completely different, I may have just been lucky with storm :D

I would say frenchies....although I have a MASSIVE soft spot for them. Blue was so lovely and gentle (unless you had a cat :roll: or there was food involved)

sparklefairy - my lionhead, Milly, was very cautious and didn't enjoy any fuss from us- not even for food. It was amazing how different she was with Jack - she was definatly top bunny!

Bluesmum - I do like french lops but my soft spot it for "up ears"!

My old giant girl was so laid back. She used to lie next to me and just snooze. Either that or lick me. I think she was a frenchie cross, she had beautiful helicopter ears and weighed in at just over 4kg. Having said that not all giants are laid back, my new zealand boy is blooming manic, the only time he stops is to eat breakfast and dinner!
ETA I also know a conti who is very, erm, temperamental! I'm the only one who can pick him up without being growled at! :lol:

Well, I guess it depends on the individual rabbit. I have had a couple of giants/large rabbits which have been very laid back. However, my now 6-year old French Lop x Continental Giant isn't what I would call laid back. She is very friendly and cuddly even, but not laid back and will still run around, binky and throw her food bowl around when she feels like it... :D

And don't forget, baby and young giants will also be lively and won't calm down until they are fully grown... So I wouldn't necessarily bet on just that - though of course your chances are better with a giant than they are with say a Netherland dwarf. ;) But I have had in the past very laid back small(er) lops for examples.

Last edited:
Hi,

Sorry to burst in like this. I have a Frenchie and he is lovely, he is also a rescue, around 2 years old. He can be a pain to catch from the garden and will run away from you, but he's not nasty in any way and can hold him like a baby. I think it all depends on the rabbit itself, as with all animals, each one is different.
I've only had Bertie (the rabbit) for about 3 weeks. He settled in within the first couple of days and was also really good with the vet and has a playtime with the cat and they chase each other around the garden, they are both as bad as each other as the cat is only 11months. lol!!

Ho[pe you find one you really want, i would say follow your heart. I'v made mistake in the past with some rabbits and its not always good. I have been very lucky to have found Bertie aftwer so many years of not having a rabbit.

Good Luck in your search xx :)

French lops tend to be laid back, if you go to a rescue though I'm sure they can help you find a suitable rabbit, many will be adults with fully developed personalities so you really know what you're getting :)

I personally think a giant is better around children anyway, less delicate and too heavy for a child to lift

French Lops :love::love::love::love:

My Bramble originally came to us in a bit of a mess... VERY nervous, VERY flighty, HATED children and people in general. It was horrid as he was so stressful and anxious all the time.

Now, after lots of patience and getting him used to us (he used to be trapped in a 2 storey, 3ft hutch and couldn't get up the stairs and was also left with a multitude of health problems) he is truly wonderful :love:

He is slightly moody but that's only because he's having to put up with me forcing meds down him everyday! A good old cheek rub and I'm normally forgiven though!

I would say frenchies....although I have a MASSIVE soft spot for them. Blue was so lovely and gentle (unless you had a cat :roll: or there was food involved)

Completely agree

I have a french lop, and he is so laid back and sweet natured. Definitely my favourite type of rabbit :love:

My Frenchie, BB, is an absolute mush:love: You only have to touch her head and she goes into full chill-out mode for a good fuss.

My conti giant, Hera, was a huge softie too, and very gentle.
Her partner, Ra, also a conti, is quite a different kettle of fish, and can be quite bolshy and nippy (but he is gorgeous!)

We have a few very bolshy giants in the sanctuary that either attack your feet, or are keen escapologists and almost impossible to handle, but on a ratio with the average sized rabbits I'd guess its down to individual buns, and their size is irrelevant!

Back