• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Tinkerbell isn't eating :( UD she's worse and mouth breathing

indigo

Mama Doe
norty bunny!!!

She was a little 'grumpy' all day yesterday, but was eating although a little more tentatively than the usual FOOOOODD!!! GIMME GIMME MOREEEE NOWWWWWW BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE... she refused her 9pm food altogether and between 8-9pm last night left an uneaten caecal.

The lovely Jason Burgess at Wood Vets in Gloucester is seeing her at 10.30. :)

Last edited:
norty bunny!!!

She was a little 'grumpy' all day yesterday, but was eating although a little more tentatively than the usual FOOOOODD!!! GIMME GIMME MOREEEE NOWWWWWW BOUNCE BOUNCE BOUNCE... she refused her 9pm food altogether and between 8-9pm last night left an uneaten caecal.

The lovely Jason Burgess at Wood Vets in Gloucester is seeing her at 10.30. :)

hope shes ok x

How's she doing? Mine have slowed down on food from time to time, but normally after a couple of days they get back to normal.

Jason gave her a seriously thorough going over, ruled out everything that could have caused her to stop eating, apart from her refusal to eat she has a clean bill of health! he checked for stones, blockages, checked down as far as he could down her throat, in her ears, she left him a urine sample on the floor and poo'd on his table :lol: her temperature was a little higher than he would have liked, but under the circumstances of a 30 min car journey it was to be expected.

He's given her 1.3ml ranitidine twice a day, 1.6ml metacam twice a day for 4 days then down to 0.8ml twice a day, 2.5ml septrin twice a day, and protexin. I'm picking up a sachet of critical care from a friend later, but I've managed to get all over the above first dose of the day in her with little problem, and a very tiny amount of crushed pellets with protexin in before she buried her head in hay, stretched right out and quite clearly wants to be left alone! :love:

jason wants an update tomorrow morning :)

I'll get her some nettle leaves and basil leaves later as Jason suggested :)

That's why I took my bun to the vets as stopped eating and reduced and small poops. Once on the medicine she was fine. I've now realised that some days she's not going to eat as much, as long as she doesn't stop eating and isn't in pain I tempt her with herbs as she goes off her pellets. Really strange though as she wakes me up early in the morning for them normally and non stop begging

I have managed to get one whole lot of meds down her when we got back from seeing Jason, she wasn't impressed and made it clear she wanted to be left alone... I've checked on her a few times, she was obviously very quiet still, but was happy for a little bit of fuss then to be left alone.

I've just gone out to give her her second dose of meds, I managed to get the metacam down her first, she 'gagged' and started mouth breathing, took her a while to calm down, I got the ranitidine down her, same reaction then she went limp.

She's currently on a cushion in the living room, tucked under a blanket. I've rung the emergency vet who advises to leave her be for the night, make sure she is warm and comfortable and see how she is in the morning :(

Oh no, I'm sorry she's not doing very well :( I wish I could give you some advice but I can't :( sending tons more vibes, I hope she starts feeling better soon. I'm sure someone with more experience will come along soon xxx

I have managed to get one whole lot of meds down her when we got back from seeing Jason, she wasn't impressed and made it clear she wanted to be left alone... I've checked on her a few times, she was obviously very quiet still, but was happy for a little bit of fuss then to be left alone.

I've just gone out to give her her second dose of meds, I managed to get the metacam down her first, she 'gagged' and started mouth breathing, took her a while to calm down, I got the ranitidine down her, same reaction then she went limp.

She's currently on a cushion in the living room, tucked under a blanket. I've rung the emergency vet who advises to leave her be for the night, make sure she is warm and comfortable and see how she is in the morning :(

Oh dear

Has she poo'd today ? It may be that her stomach is now very bloated and so her lungs cannot expand, hence the mouth breathing.

Is there any way you could get her back to the Vet tonight ? I fear waiting til the morning may be very risky :cry:

ETA- I am so very sorry :cry: :cry:

Hi Indigo - we met once at Wood, you were coming out and I was going in to see Jason with Buttercup, that was 2 years ago now.

I was speaking to Jason quite by chance about rabbits mouth breathing the last time we were there a few weeks ago and he was saying that this is a serious sign. I have read other posts on RU from people who have had experiences of mouth breathing buns and it is something that they have seen with their buns for various health reasons.

I know the emergency vet said to leave her for the night but with Jason's words ringing in my ears I wouldn't be able to do that. Is there any chance you could ask them to contact Jason and ask for his advice? I really wouldn't want to leave it over night although equally i understand Tinkerbell could be stressed by another 30 minute trip.

I just think another call might be useful and I'd be happy if you repeated to them what Jason told me. You are welcome to pm me if you need my real name etc.

Good luck xx

So sorry Indigo - just as my post posted on the thread I can see that Tinkerbell has passed. I am very very sorry.

Thinking of you and your little bun.

So very sorry

Ruth xx
[/B][/COLOR]

Last edited:
Jason was consulted when I rang to speak to someone just now. Alistair told me to leave her be, let the metacam kick in and make her comfortable. The nurse that I spoke to before being put through to the vet was going to see Jason anyway.

Nothing anyone could have done, we'd already decided here that she was in too bad a way to contemplate taking back to Jason tonight, it's a good 30 minute trip that she wouldn't have survived anyway it seems :(

at least I don't feel guilty. She saw Jason at the earliest appointment that he had this morning, he was so seriously thorough with her, and she was heavily breathing then and he checked her and checked her again and reassured himself that there wasn't anything causing her not to eat.

Back