• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Introducing idea of house rabbits to 'no pets' landlord

nessar

Warren Veteran
I'm going to be moving in June, and wondered how best to approach the topic of house bunnies to a landlord/letting agent, most of which will probably be 'no pets' landlords.

Been there! Look >> *shows T-shirt* :)

I have in the past always found that straight forward honesty is the best policy. When you phone up or email someone regarding a property that you have taken a fancy too, go through the basics, politely and pleasantly introduce yourself, tell them your financial circumstances (working/unemployed/student etc) be warm and friendly and chatty, but not overpoweringly so. Get them onside with your warm, open personality. Ask about the area (even if you know it well!) and drop in that you yourself are quiet living, and although friendly natured and ameniable, you tend to keep yourself to yourself and not disturb anybody.... (see the kind of picture you are building up? A quiet, easy going tennant with decent standards..)
THEN, soon as you have built a bit of an insight into yourself to the agent or landlord, say something like ...
(well, I will tell you what I said when I was house-hunting recently, and in all honesty, not ONE agent or landlord knocked me back over my animals)
''There's one thing I really feel I should tell you straight away, I have some small pet birds, and also two house rabbits, and it's only fair I let you know right from the start, because I simply couldn't go anywhere without them, especially because my rabbits are rescues and are both disabled with very special needs''. Now I can not remember one occasion where I was given a direct 'NO!' I'd already built up a nice pleasant manner with the person on the phone, and it always seemed that humanity in that person pushed them to ask what the disability/special needs were, simply out of an ''Awww' type curiosity. Id tell them briefly what was wrong, and immediately lead into the fact that they are house-trained and use their toilet (often producing more interest.. OMG! Rabbits that use their own toilet!!??) which in turn opened the chance for me to say oh yes, they're sooo clean, how fussy i am about household hygiene and poops, pees and fleas were not my idea of clean living, admit that they can be a bit chewy sometimes if given the chance, but I treasure my belongings and my home and always keep an eye on them, ensure they had chew toys of their own... blah blah... and honestly, it was as if they ceased to become 'animals'. They were adorable sounding creatures, and nothing like cats or dogs with their fleas and destructive and often noisy ways... (This was the feedback I tended to get btw, I do NOT think that of mogs and dogs!)
From that point of winning over the agent, even IF the landlord was anti-animal, I myself would ask if they would please, please phone the owner and explain about my animals, state he was more than welcome to speak to me himself, welcome to call in and see how harmless and clean my animals are, mention that I was more than happy for him to contact current landlors, immediate neighbours regarding how well i looked after the animals, which was reflected in how my actual home was kept...

I know this is quite detailed and drawn out, but as i said, with this approach not one landlord turned me down. Unfortunately I was turned down a couple of times because I had no guarantor (Other than my daughter, my entire family died 3 years ago, so a gaurantor wasn't something I believed I could ever have as you can no doubt imagine) That was my main fall-down until i braved up, swallowed my pride and asked a friend who text me back within about 30 nanoseconds and said Annie of course I will do that for you, no problem! I got the next house I went for, animals and all :D

Be honest, involve the people in your deep love and passion for your buns by touching their heart, and hopefully you will get the same sort of responses as I did :thumb:

Exactly what Anniebirdy says - be open and honest from the start :thumb:

I'm about to move into a privately rented flat that explicitly stated no pets on the details and they have agreed to allow my house bunnies with no problems whatsoever. I did offer to put down a larger security deposit but they said it wasn't required - I do think that alot of non-rabbit people are not aware that the destructive potential of a rabbit is more than equal to that of a dog/ cat :lol:

Good luck with your house hunt :wave:

I've had no problems renting with rabbits. 'I have two house rabbits, they are litter trained and I can give a reference from a previous landlord and a larger deposit if necessary' is always the first thing I say to the letting agent/landlord, just because if they are definitely set on no pets of any kind its not worth wasting any time viewing a property only to get turned down further down the line. But saying that, all of the properties I've ever enquired about or viewed have always said rabbits would be absolutely fine and have never asked for a larger deposit. The only stipulation I was given in my current home is that the carpets must be cleaned before I leave. In fact, when I went to adopt Amelia from the RSPCA, my current letting agents even wrote me a letter and a new ammendment to my contract saying I could keep multiple rabbits, to take with me :lol:

There are quite a few animal loving LLs out there, you just have to look, and maybe be prepared for the odd knock back. I agree though, I dont think LLs generally would have a clue about the destructive potential of rabbits! :lol:

We only have the buns, who live outside, but the tenants before us had a full menagerie. They had to get the carpets cleaned and returf where their guinea pig run had killed the grass, but otherwise there were no probs at all.

You could say if they are worried about damage that you would be willing to offer them a larger deposit to ease their mind? (and reassure them that you wouldn't expect there to be damage anyway :p)

Im not sure I would offer a larger deposit off hand. Wait and see if they ask for it. I really think most people wouldn't dream of the destruction a cute little bundle of fluffy rabbit could cause, and I wouldn't be the one to teach them ;) :lol:

This is the second house we have rented and have had no problems with our cat or rabbit being accepted.

We viewed around 6 houses this time and none of them had a no pets policy :D and we've never had to pay an increased deposit either!

I wouldn't bother. If a landlord is 'no pets' that means they don't want pets to cause damage to the property or cause any smells. A rabbit can do both of those things. Look for a landlord that is okay with pets.

Thank you everyone, keep em coming!

Stator, unfortunately I have only found one one-bed flat in the area so far that says 'considers pets' on it, and it was a bit out of my price-range and a little overpriced actually, for what it was. Most didnt say. Of course this may all change when I'm properly looking in about 3 weeks.

Thank you everyone, keep em coming!

Stator, unfortunately I have only found one one-bed flat in the area so far that says 'considers pets' on it, and it was a bit out of my price-range and a little overpriced actually, for what it was. Most didnt say. Of course this may all change when I'm properly looking in about 3 weeks.

Come to Liverpool nessar, I'll get you sorted with a house and a good landlord :D :thumb:

I've heard of a few people being allowed to have rabbits in 'no pets' houses because they can be caged (I'm not saying keep them permenantly in a cage, just for 'inspections', so I'd mention the fact rabbits can be caged and litter trained, and that they're very clean animals especially when fixed

Come to Liverpool nessar, I'll get you sorted with a house and a good landlord :D :thumb:

Ahaha my Dad would have a fit! He's been trying to get me to come back down south for 3 years, and then I move further north! I've never been as north as Liverpool :shock:

But if I can't find anywhere in Portsmouth I'll give you a shout! :thumb:

I've actually got 3 house viewings at 4.

This will also be the first time I have told a landlord prior to them finding out half way through e contract...naugthty me

Honesty is deffo the best policy

Yeah just let them know you are a clean, warm, respectable and house proud person. Say that the buns are litter trained and very clean, quiet, no fleas or scratching or peeing everywhere and have their own indoor cages (don't forget majority of people think bunnies just sit there in a cage doing nothing) and are well behaved.

If all else fails you could suggest a higher deposit to make them more comfortable or you could suggest them living in the garden. I heard a lot of LL don't really care if there is a caged/hutched animal in the garden (guinea or rabbits etc)

I'm going to be moving in June, and wondered how best to approach the topic of house bunnies to a landlord/letting agent, most of which will probably be 'no pets' landlords.

We wouldn't have an issue with this is 99% of our properties.

Ss

Wish me luck guys, going to start ringing them tomorrow, getting a short list to ring now!

The cheap places with gardens seem to have gone :( so looks like I'm going to have to try to get the letting agents to allow them indoors. So nervous, and my dad keeps saying things like 'so have you accepted the fact you're going to have to get rid of the rabbits yet' :( which isnt helping. Problem is, I also dont have a job down there yet, so I'm not exactly an ideal tenant. I can afford the rent whether I have a job or not, as my dad is going to help me out till I find a job, and I do have some savings, but its just persuading the landlord that I'm reliable...

I have been talking to an old friend though, and there is the possibility of looking for somewhere with him, as his tenancy agreement ends the month after mine.... which would allow me to get a place with a garden as there are a few 2 bed houses. We havent seen each other for 3 years though, so I guess we need to meet up first and see if we still get on.

Last edited:
Landlords need to be reasonable and allow tenants to live, and if they want pets and a responsible then it shouldn't be a major issue, dependent on pet and person obviously.

Ss

Back