• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

An increase in naughtieness?

Bluesmum

Wise Old Thumper
Over the last couple of weeks Marnies naughtiness has got a lot worse....to the point where I have to keep shuting her in the kitchen to have a break from it. She is tearing up everything in sight and forever getting up on the sides and now the dining table too.
I'm making sure that there isn't anything out that can hurt her...but she seems to be going out of her way to do things she knows she shouldn't. She's even started chewwing Rosies books :?
She had a full check up when we lost Blue...so I kbnow that there isnt anything medical wrong with her. She's binkying and flopping like normal but this naughtiness is really starting to wear me down. I cant seem to go 5 minutes without having to get her down from somewhere or take something off her.
I just don't know what to do :cry:
Has anyone got any ideas?

Yes, I suspect that it is attention seeking and having sadly lost Blue she is increasingly lonely and seeking more attention from you than before to compensate. Negative attention from you is just as good as positive as far as a bunny is concerned - a bit like dealing with a toddler - which you should know very well! ;) However, unlike a toddler where you can do left brain stuff and reengage the brain in a different activity, rabbits aren't obviously cognitively at our level so generally the thing that works best for negative attention seeking is ignoring them everytime they do the unwanted behaviour so that you are not reinforcing it - does that make sense?

You might want to consider the option of rebonding in the future if she continues to be lonely in this sense. x

It's probably a mixture of two things. Firstly, loosing her partner she no longer has anybody to play with, so has to entertain herself in different ways. Like breaking things!
Secondly, 'spring fever' has hit a number of bunnies (turning one of mine into sir humpsalot... :roll:) which will be making her worse.
Are you looking to get another bun or not?

I agree with the other posts, Sam.

I know that Marnie isn't 'sad' in the sense that she is still eating well and binkying, but I do think she is missing Blue and would benefit from a friend again. Although you and Rosie are with her for most of the day and night it's not the same as her having a bunny friend to talk 'bunny' to and do 'bunny' things with. It would be like one of us living with someone who didn't speak any English and never meeting anyone who did.

I remember seeing her and Blue snuggled up together. Although they both had their own space they both knew the other was around and could go and have bunny cuddles and grooms when they felt the need. Marnie no longer has this and I don't think she is as happy as she could be.

Sorry - I know you don't really want to get another bun but I'm being honest. Having said that, I don't think Marnie is unhappy now, just that she could be happier.

Am happy to bond for you and to help with a bunny run :):)

We really didnt want to get another bun....three reasons really.
Blue was so special. He was my little man and I just don't know how well i would deal with another bunny. We picked up his ashes today and I was a sobbing wreck. Even the nurse who was with me when he passed was crying.
Secondly....we don't know how well a new bunny would deal with our home and the way we live. Rosie is very hands on with the bunnies (although very gentle) and is used to being able to give them fussing and loving. Both Blue and Marnie were very understanding with her, and I worry that a new bunny might find it very stressfull, especially as might be used to so much loving from a small person
Thirdly (and very selfishly) We (particularly J) don't want to get caught in the 'bunny trap' if you know what I mean. I know (and very dearly hope) that Marnie will have a good few more years with us....ut we dont want to get stuck in a cycle of bunnies. J is desperate to have a dog and I wont take the risk of having dogs and housebunnies together....especially as we dont have anywhere they can be seperated.
Thank you for the offer of bonding Karen.....the run wont be a problem but you may have to Rosie sit if that is the route we decide to go down.
Any bunny that did come to live with us would have a really good life, free range with unlimited cuddles and fussing.

We really didnt want to get another bun....three reasons really.
Blue was so special. He was my little man and I just don't know how well i would deal with another bunny. We picked up his ashes today and I was a sobbing wreck. Even the nurse who was with me when he passed was crying.
Secondly....we don't know how well a new bunny would deal with our home and the way we live. Rosie is very hands on with the bunnies (although very gentle) and is used to being able to give them fussing and loving. Both Blue and Marnie were very understanding with her, and I worry that a new bunny might find it very stressfull, especially as might be used to so much loving from a small person
Thirdly (and very selfishly) We (particularly J) don't want to get caught in the 'bunny trap' if you know what I mean. I know (and very dearly hope) that Marnie will have a good few more years with us....ut we dont want to get stuck in a cycle of bunnies. J is desperate to have a dog and I wont take the risk of having dogs and housebunnies together....especially as we dont have anywhere they can be seperated.
Thank you for the offer of bonding Karen.....the run wont be a problem but you may have to Rosie sit if that is the route we decide to go down.
Any bunny that did come to live with us would have a really good life, free range with unlimited cuddles and fussing.

Could you not adopt an older male around the same age as marnie?

Yes, I suspect that it is attention seeking and having sadly lost Blue she is increasingly lonely and seeking more attention from you than before to compensate. Negative attention from you is just as good as positive as far as a bunny is concerned - a bit like dealing with a toddler - which you should know very well! ;) However, unlike a toddler where you can do left brain stuff and reengage the brain in a different activity, rabbits aren't obviously cognitively at our level so generally the thing that works best for negative attention seeking is ignoring them everytime they do the unwanted behaviour so that you are not reinforcing it - does that make sense?

You might want to consider the option of rebonding in the future if she continues to be lonely in this sense. x

I have to agree with this. Sending nose rubs to Marnie, having had Marnie live with us for a few months I know she is an extremely intelligent bunny and will be missing having a bunny to share her life with :(

I have to agree with this. Sending nose rubs to Marnie, having had Marnie live with us for a few months I know she is an extremely intelligent bunny and will be missing having a bunny to share her life with :(

She really is a very intelligent bunny...and I know that her needs HAVE to come first...she is our responsibility and when she moved in with us I promised her that I would do everything I could to make her happy.
I think we will proably end up getting another bunny....I think that J will need convincing though.
He will have to be as different as possible from Blue....maybe an uppie eared bun. Unless there is another EL floating around rescues somewhere. But with a different colour.
We honestly thought that with the almost constant company she would be happy....but I can't bear the thought of deliberately making her sad for our own selfishness :cry:

I've been thinking about it all afternoon. Every time I think of my little man it hits me in the chest and I feel totally floored by it all over again.
I dont know if im over personifying it but if she feels like that all the time then I have to fix it. I owe it to him to make her as happy as I can.
I'll be talking to J when he gets home and we'll make a decision. I'll probably bring it up with the vet too....if he heres it from a 'professional' then he might not think that it is bunny people crazy talk if you know what I mean.
I've been having a little look around and I can't find a bun that matches what we would be looking for :(
Might have to start a new thread asking all the rescues :?

It is however early days and she may settle down again. After we lost Nino, Poppy was seeking more attention from us and wanting to spend more time from us in her own way, but then after a couple of weeks she settled down again and fitted back into her old routine and genuinely seems pretty content with life. You might want to give it another few weeks and see how she goes, certainly ignoring the unwanted behaviour and spending positive bonding time with her in another way e.g. when Rosie is in bed and you can just sit with her on the floor of an evening.

Hope you can work out a solution to suit you all.

Spenser is spectacularly naughty at the moment, and although it is spring and he has never known a friend, I suspect company of his own kind would help. I wouldn't hesitate to try him if I lived in my own house, but I respect all the reasons you have given for not wanting to rush into a new partner for Marnie.

It is however early days and she may settle down again. After we lost Nino, Poppy was seeking more attention from us and wanting to spend more time from us in her own way, but then after a couple of weeks she settled down again and fitted back into her old routine and genuinely seems pretty content with life. You might want to give it another few weeks and see how she goes, certainly ignoring the unwanted behaviour and spending positive bonding time with her in another way e.g. when Rosie is in bed and you can just sit with her on the floor of an evening.

See, this is what we were hoping...that she would settle down and be happy with us.
The problem with ignoring the behaviour is that she has a tendancy to go places that she really shouldnt be....and break things. This morning I found her on the top windowsil in the kitchen :shock: I have NO idea how she got up there. What i tend to do is just remove her from the table/side/windowsil and put her on the floor....if she hasnt already flung herself off anyway.
She quite often comes for cuddles on the sofa...and when Rosie is sleeping and I have done my housework then I sit on the floor for a good clean :lol: She is still very licky and loving....and flopps on my chest for cuddling :love:

Back