• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Whisky's At The Vets... U/D Post 20 She Home

Stumpy

Alpha Buck
Having her spay today. :cry: I booked her in at half 9 and i am so nervous, the spay is going to cost me 70 with 10 - 12 pound to pay for painkillers. Do you normally pay more to have painkillers given. The vet said she may not need any but after reading so many people on her say i should give her it ive asked for it.

2 quick questions:
1. Once she is home and i put her in her cage indoors can she be near hay or how do i feed it too her?

2. What do i put in the bottom off her little tray she has saw dust and hay in her shed can i still put saw dust in the tray or will that upset her stiches and wound? :?

Last edited:
I wouldn't want to use sawdust anyway for health reasons. Carefresh is probably a good one to use as its hypoallergenic etc. A folded towel in her tray would be better.

You need to offer hay, rabbits should have access to hay at all times, but put it in a bowl or hay rack so she doesnt sit/lie in it.

Depends on your vet whether you pay extra for things or if theyre included in the price, my vet has everything listed on the invoice so you see what you're paying for.

Wishing her loads of vibes! She'll be fine :D I had a 4 year old sneezy dental bun get spayed and a healthy bun and both were scary :shock: but it's in their best interests! :D (Now seeing Donny and Lola together and totally loved up is worth it :love:)

A Question

One More Question...

before she comes back where should i put her cage? in my room so i can keep an eye on her or in the spare room so she will have peace and quiet?

I think that depends on how whisky is around you, and whether she would be happier with you there, and also how quiet you are going to be in your bedroom. You cant have a lot of noise, or music etc as she isnt used to indoor household sounds.

You need to have the pen set up before she gets back, so you can put her straight in.

I think that depends on how whisky is around you, and whether she would be happier with you there, and also how quiet you are going to be in your bedroom. You cant have a lot of noise, or music etc as she isnt used to indoor household sounds.

You need to have the pen set up before she gets back, so you can put her straight in.

Thank you i am quiet in my room so i think she will come in here for a few days. we have sorted it out and i have a picture below:

20120416_125237.jpg

20120416_123417.jpg

Is there anything else i need to do?

You need some litter/a towel in that litter tray, and it looks quite low sided so she might wee over the side of it. You also need some hay, and that water bottle looks like its going to fall off at any minute, I'd also provide a bowl as its easier for them to drink from.

Other than that it looks fine, but its incredibly small so when she is healed a bit (not sure on timescale for this, ask vet) you'll have to start letting her out of it, for this I'd take the top off, as I had a similar cage in the past and B sometimes caught his legs when jumping through the hole, which could be disastrous for a healing spay wound.

You need some litter/a towel in that litter tray, and it looks quite low sided so she might wee over the side of it. You also need some hay, and that water bottle looks like its going to fall off at any minute, I'd also provide a bowl as its easier for them to drink from.

Other than that it looks fine, but its incredibly small so when she is healed a bit (not sure on timescale for this, ask vet) you'll have to start letting her out of it, for this I'd take the top off, as I had a similar cage in the past and B sometimes caught his legs when jumping through the hole, which could be disastrous for a healing spay wound.

OK thank you i will sort them little bits out

Really good advice there. Once shes home if she isn't keen on her hay, try her with some of her favourite foods. It's important to get her eating, a spay is a fairly invasive operation so she might need tempting with something tasty.

Really good advice there. Once shes home if she isn't keen on her hay, try her with some of her favourite foods. It's important to get her eating, a spay is a fairly invasive operation so she might need tempting with something tasty.

OK thank you can i give her veg straight after or must i wait so long?

See if she eats the hay to start off with, if not give her a small ammount of veg, just to get her appetite going again. They will keep her at the vets for a while and with buns its important they don't stop eating for too long.

this is just a thought, but is there any way you could assemble a ramp to go over the door? Mine also had problems jumping out and we thought she might rip her stitches so nailed 3 planks of wood together, one going up to the door as such, one going over and one going down the other side if this makes sense?! so two diagonal and one straight basically! Just a thought :)

this is just a thought, but is there any way you could assemble a ramp to go over the door? Mine also had problems jumping out and we thought she might rip her stitches so nailed 3 planks of wood together, one going up to the door as such, one going over and one going down the other side if this makes sense?! so two diagonal and one straight basically! Just a thought :)

yes we can do that for when i let her out in a couple off days :) thanks for the advice

I wouldnt give her anything she normally wouldnt have, but I'd offer pellets and veg from the time she is home, but dont worry if she doesnt want to eat for a few hours. The vets shouldnt let her home without eating something (check with them she has) and of course she had the packed lunch you took in too.

I wouldnt give her anything she normally wouldnt have, but I'd offer pellets and veg from the time she is home, but dont worry if she doesnt want to eat for a few hours. The vets shouldnt let her home without eating something (check with them she has) and of course she had the packed lunch you took in too.

OK i will check when we pick her up. Thank you all so much for your advice and help, i have some off her favorite veg in at the moment just for her. yes i gave them some pellets and a treat just in case she would eat the pellets in the pack lunch. They didn't want me to give them any veg for her as didn't have the fridge space to store it.

Thank again

She is home and very quiet... Her stitches are all inside and i have been told to make sure she doesn't lick them to pull at them. am i aloud to pick her up or should i let her move herself?

i have liquid pain killers for her but im not sure the best way to give these to her?? Any help would be great x

Back