• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Huge vibes for Harley please

lauraj27

Warren Scout
Harley wasn't interested in his food last night, took him straight to the vet this morning and it has an impacted gut. He has put on a drip and has been hospitalised.

We have since discovered that he got hold of a plastic bag and chewed it, I feel so guilty that I didn't check on him earlier or more throughly :cry:

I'm so worried about him, he's had quite alot of bouts of stasis through his short life and he is only 2.

Please can wehave lots of vibes xxx

The drip wasn't doing much, he's now in surgery having the blockage removed, thank you for the vibes much appreciated xx

Update

Thank you everyone for the vibes and I am sorry for not getting on here sooner.

Harley came through the op thankfully, he had the mass removed and the gut flushed out. We had the option of transferring him to the night vets at a different practice but the vets were of the opinion that he wouldn't get the same amount of care than if we took him home. He was still very sleepy when we brought him home and the vest ssaid if he had been anyone else they wouldn't have sent him home in that state.

Anyway we got him home and had to get him warmed up so he was next to the radiator wrapped in a towel on a duvet. We had to syringe feed him every three hours through the night, as well as giving him a gut motility agent and an antibiotic to prevent any infection as syringing water into him to get the gut moving.

He went back to the vet this morning for a a check and she was very happy and said the gut is moving. He has done a few droppings and has had a little munch on his fave veggies but we are still having to syringe feed him just to keep the gut moving

Back