• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bulging eye - Update p16

HorseyHolly

Mama Doe
Ringing the vets in the morning but Mischief's right eye is bulging out and weeping :(
We took her to be bonded at a rescue today, shortly after leaving the woman phones and says she wants us to get her checked over by a vet before bonding. I'd noticed it was weeping a tiny bit but not bulging like it was, I feel really stupid for not seeing because it's really obvious :oops: The rescue woman felt around her face and couldn't feel anything noticeable with her teeth.
What could it be? I'm really not clued up on bunny eye issues :oops: Should i try get an emergency appointment? I don't want to get one later on in the week and end up with her dead before it, like what happened with Trouble :cry:

Would appreciate some vibes that it's nothing too serious.

ETA: She's been PTS now :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
If its progressed that much in a day, I would ring the emergency vets, explain the situation, and see if they say bring her in or get her seen tomorrow. I would have her seen tomorrow at the latest. Fingers crossed shes okay!

Sorry to hear about Mischief!

I think you should phone the vet and ask about it. Even if it's only to ask what they think you should do about it or to get some advice. They will tell you their provisional opinion whether it can wait or needs to be seen to.

Fingers crossed for you both! Good luck :)

Sending lots of vibes for fabulous missy, even if she did scratch your face mentally!:lol: on a serious note though, lots of vibes for the wonderful girlie:love:

Thanks everyone for the vibes x

Sounds like a retrobulbar abscess :cry: This can sometimes be related to elongated tooth roots

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Bacterial/RetrobulbarAbscessRabbit.htm

*VERY GRAPHIC IMAGES ON THE FOLLOWING LINKS*

http://www.ivis.org/journals/exoticdvm/10-1/visigalli.pdf

Scroll down on this one

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Eye_diseases/Clinical/Eye_diseases.htm

Sending vibes for Mischief xx

Oh dear :( It does look like that to me, her third eye is also showing a bit. Got her an appointment this afternoon xx

I agree totally with Jacks Jane - and they can be very very fast once they have got to this stage so emergency NOW

My bun had what I suspect was this with her eye bulging right out (was fine when I put her away in the evening by 8am next morning eye was bulging), the emergency vet did not bother to remove the eye just gave me bloody eyedrops and as I knew no better at the time did what he said needless to say when I took her to my vet a day and a half later she had to be PTS. Sending lots of vibes x

I agree totally with Jacks Jane - and they can be very very fast once they have got to this stage so emergency NOW

Thanks for letting me know, taking her in a few hours.

I got some pictures of her, not very good because it was on my phone but it gives you the general idea. Have put links in case anyone is really squeamish, but it doesn't actually look very bad at all in these.

The actual eye http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...368996550_1346175338_3567641_1345229904_n.jpg

Face on you can see that it's really coming out http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hpho...3368676542_1346175338_3567640_730843152_n.jpg

Poor little Missy :(

Last edited:
My bun had what I suspect was this with her eye bulging right out (was fine when I put her away in the evening by 8am next morning eye was bulging), the emergency vet did not bother to remove the eye just gave me bloody eyedrops and as I knew no better at the time did what he said needless to say when I took her to my vet a day and a half later she had to be PTS. Sending lots of vibes x

Aw no :( I'm hoping my vets wil be able to do something, they are very rabbit savvy so I hope so! Thank you x

We are taking widget to the vets as she has a similar issue. Hope you get on okay.:thumb:

Hope Widget will get on okay too :wave:

Mischief's not happy with me for taking her there :lol: Going back on wednesday for x-rays to see if it's the teeth roots, which the vet suspects it is.

If being put under light anaesthetic for the x-ray, will she need to stay indoors afterwards?

:wave: im sorry to hear about mischiefs eye:cry: i hope that the vet can sort it..i think keeping her in for the night would be a good idea, in a cooler part of the house like a conservatory area? good luck on wednesday:love:

I am so sorry, I know how awful you must feel as it broke my heart when it happened to Molly. Sending lots of hugs x

Back