• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Sorry to ask- living surfaces for the disabled

Sky-O

Wise Old Thumper
I need to find a non abrasive surface, so that when a bunny who is struggling to use his front paws and is pushing himself around with his back legs and using his nose as a balance point, doesn't make his underneath sore (his front left leg almost seems to be showing similar signs to a frozen shoulder). He already has bald platches but they aren't too inflammed. He has been on fleece, and Magic Dressing Gown Blankets and is now on hay, but if there anything else that anyone else can think of?

Or, anything I can put him in to try and help protect his skin.

For now I'm using Sudocrem. Any other ideas on that too? It needs to be something that isn't going to wipe off easily.

He is in a small area (3ft by 1ft) to try and minimise his area. His spirit is big and needs to stay that way.

Any ideas on how to help him?

Thanks in advance and sorry for taking up your time.

if he is not a chewer have you tried a cut-off of the sort of foam used for exercise mats, (sightly firm one so does not 'sink in' to it ) perhaps with a taught cover of something like a fine weave washable sheet?

Would some lino/lino tiles help?

Poundland have some in which aren't slippy as they are meant to be used for kitchens. Not sure if you'll have one near by but if you want, I could pick up a pack or two and send them to you to try?

M xx

Ps. Don't apologise! You've helped us lot and given up so much of your time to help us that you never need to apologise for asking for advice!

They are currently selling foam mats in Dunelm i think it is, 4 square coloured ones that tlook quite firm and non-slip as they are a textured surface, would they help?

Would foam really help? Serious question (not a sarcastic question), I've been wracking my brains for what I could try. The fact it's grippy ish is vital because his back end is rubbish too. I'm very happy to get some if it might be worth a try (but can't afford to buy some if it's unlikely).

I was thinking of trying to find something really soft and movable like a softer hay or something that would move with him, not stay still while he moves.

Would some lino/lino tiles help?

Poundland have some in which aren't slippy as they are meant to be used for kitchens. Not sure if you'll have one near by but if you want, I could pick up a pack or two and send them to you to try?

M xx

Ps. Don't apologise! You've helped us lot and given up so much of your time to help us that you never need to apologise for asking for advice!

we found these a bit abrasive for buns that have a lot of 'contact' with the floor as they move - though they do help with 'grip' - but it does depend on the type of disability and the individual bun :)

Would foam really help? Serious question (not a sarcastic question), I've been wracking my brains for what I could try. The fact it's grippy ish is vital because his back end is rubbish too. I'm very happy to get some if it might be worth a try (but can't afford to buy some if it's unlikely).

I was thinking of trying to find something really soft and movable like a softer hay or something that would move with him, not stay still while he moves.

How about a donation for you to get some, so you can at least try it?

My hands in my pocket...i owe you anyway, big time.

foams not that expensive - an 'exercise mat' type of thing can be cut into lots of mats (and is washable:D)

just make sure its a firmer one - worth a try as long as he doesnt nibble

have you asked Hugos There?

we found these a bit abrasive for buns that have a lot of 'contact' with the floor as they move - though they do help with 'grip' - but it does depend on the type of disability and the individual bun :)

Ah :( Shame...

I thought foam would have been too abrasive too though...

What about megazorb? I remember that being nice and soft... Or Finacard possibly? Finacard doesn't have sharp edges and would move with him, my buns loved it so much, they slept on it! Ratties adored the megazorb and made nests out of it... so it must be comfy!

Thanks Gray, that's very kind of you, but my bunny, my responsibility :)

Thanks Twigs. I shall go on a hunt for a foam exercise mat tomorrow.

I need to find a non abrasive surface, so that when a bunny who is struggling to use his front paws and is pushing himself around with his back legs and using his nose as a balance point, doesn't make his underneath sore (his front left leg almost seems to be showing similar signs to a frozen shoulder). He already has bald platches but they aren't too inflammed. He has been on fleece, and Magic Dressing Gown Blankets and is now on hay, but if there anything else that anyone else can think of?

Or, anything I can put him in to try and help protect his skin.

For now I'm using Sudocrem. Any other ideas on that too? It needs to be something that isn't going to wipe off easily.

He is in a small area (3ft by 1ft) to try and minimise his area. His spirit is big and needs to stay that way.

Any ideas on how to help him?Thanks in advance and sorry for taking up your time.

Sky, Ive worked with lots and lots of physically disabled birds/parrots in the past, and I think what I used (successfully) for them would work more or less across the board...
I always used soft fleece, the none loop type. primark stylee fleecey jimjams type of fleece. Soft fleece throws, the cheap ones are ideal.
Baby changing mats (cheap ones, not Tommee bloody rip-off Tippee or anything like that make good soft, yet still supportibe bases under the fleece, plus piddle puddles are easy wiped away and disinfected ;)
I also used (under the advice of my vet) Preparation H on friction type sore skin, absolutley wonderful results. I would never used towelling as it is looped and can rip out claws, as can looped fleece.
Hope this helps!

You could try swapping the sudocreme for green oils. It's quite 'sticky' so once its stuck on it won't come off easily. It's like vaseline, but with healing stuff in it too (can't remember what off hand). I use it on my horse and swear by it for multiple things.

What about the foam mats, covered in a short-cut hay (p@h timothy or excel hays are pretty short) or something like carefresh? So he'd be able to move it with him and the softness of the bedding, with a grippy surface underneath.

I would be inclined to put some sort of clothing on the bun. Something like a baby grow, or even better would be to hand make a sling for the arm etc so the bits that touch the floor and drag are covered in the material. Silky material would be best. Then use lino on the floor so the bun can just slide along without getting friction on the skin.

I've never tried this so perhaps it would be worth trying different material types with different flooring typed on your hand to see which slide the best.

Rubber stable matting is absolutely amazing, I can't rate it highly enough :D We have it in all our indoor cages now and i wouldnt' be with out it. We have had bunnies with really severe deformities on it and it gives the great grip to get around plus is cushioned enough to be kind on their limbs:)

Rubber stable matting is absolutely amazing, I can't rate it highly enough :D We have it in all our indoor cages now and i wouldnt' be with out it. We have had bunnies with really severe deformities on it and it gives the great grip to get around plus is cushioned enough to be kind on their limbs:)

that sounds good!!!

that sounds good!!!

So easy to keep clean too. Just brush up the poo, spray and wipe. Obviously we use towels, vet bed and soft beds in certain corners :D

Its around £25 for a 6 x 4 ft piece so not expensive either as that fills 2 standard hutches, we put sealant round the edge to the wee can't seep through the edges

Back