• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

how to stop pooing out of litter tray?

JemimaH

Warren Veteran
Alfie and RosyPosy are my 8 month old neutured/spayed bunnies, and they are littertrained (they came littetrained from the breeder:D) however one, if not both, always do LOADS of poos in their hutch, as opposed to their litter tray! they wee there as well, it gets swept every day and disinfected/washed every 3 days, which I really dont want to be doing tbqh as i have had a bad back for a while and all this bending,lifting etc is making it worse!

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to encourage them to go in their littertray? they have a single story hutch, quite small (but a large enclosure which the hutch is in and door is constantly open!), the littertray takes up half of the hutch anyway really! I do see them using it, they just tend to do most of their poos and wees out of the litter tray!

any help would be appreciated muchly!

Can't help, but would love an answer. Scarlet was 100% litter trained...........until Orinoco taught her to poo all over the hutch. Typical naughty BARC bunny :lol:

Are they all over or in one spot?

If all over then I would personally say that you might be overcleaning it. They poo all over to mark and scent, if you remove that they tend to just remark again!

If in one spot, another litter tray or moving the litter tray miht help.

Are they all over or in one spot?

If all over then I would personally say that you might be overcleaning it. They poo all over to mark and scent, if you remove that they tend to just remark again!

If in one spot, another litter tray or moving the litter tray miht help.

It's pretty much all over to be honest. Hmm, i know what you're saying, but one of them, if not both, wee as well and then they get mucky legs and tails, so I cant really not clean it if you get me? It's been quite warm here as well so I want their hutch to be nice and clean as well as them so they dont attract flies!

It's really very simple when you know what to do...
1. Scour boot fairs, antiques shops etc for a magic lamp.
2. Purchase said lamp.
3. Rub on the lamp until the genie comes out.
4. Make your litter tray wish.
5. Et voila! :lol:
I've had a fair few rabbits and whilst most of them have done their wees and most of their poos in their littertray, there are always stray nuggets!
I agree with above, when you clean out the hutch put some of the weeie stuff and poos into the top of the littertray.
They also like eating whilst using the loo, so only put hay in or immediatly around the hutch.
I am having issues with my 3 boys atm so I know your pain, mine are indoors so my room has to be hoovered daily atm!
Good luck!

It's really very simple when you know what to do...
1. Scour boot fairs, antiques shops etc for a magic lamp.
2. Purchase said lamp.
3. Rub on the lamp until the genie comes out.
4. Make your litter tray wish.
5. Et voila! :lol:
I've had a fair few rabbits and whilst most of them have done their wees and most of their poos in their littertray, there are always stray nuggets!
I agree with above, when you clean out the hutch put some of the weeie stuff and poos into the top of the littertray.
They also like eating whilst using the loo, so only put hay in or immediatly around the hutch.
I am having issues with my 3 boys atm so I know your pain, mine are indoors so my room has to be hoovered daily atm!
Good luck!

this made me laugh so much!:lol::lol::lol: They wee almost immediately on hay :? everything is so complicated sometimes with these bunnies! thankyou though:D

It's pretty much all over to be honest. Hmm, i know what you're saying, but one of them, if not both, wee as well and then they get mucky legs and tails, so I cant really not clean it if you get me? It's been quite warm here as well so I want their hutch to be nice and clean as well as them so they dont attract flies!

Yes I understand that. What about just wiping up the wee and leaving the poops.

this made me laugh so much!:lol::lol::lol: They wee almost immediately on hay :? everything is so complicated sometimes with these bunnies! thankyou though:D

Most of us just use hay in litter trays as bunnies do tend to wee on hay, it must mimic grass. During summer could you just use hay in the trays and keave the rest with just newspaper?

Most of us just use hay in litter trays as bunnies do tend to wee on hay, it must mimic grass. During summer could you just use hay in the trays and keave the rest with just newspaper?

do you mean using hay as their only litter? I could try this but I'd be worried that theyd then associate hay as their litter, and wee on their bedding? because they have hay as some bedding as well, not foraging hay but just general bedding hay :)

Doughnut used to just wee in her litter box but since I added a playpen she wees and poops in there too. She does a few poops outsider her hutch too but this is because I let her eat from the hay bag as she loves it and poops where she's eating.

I put hay in her tray and she scatters it all around and wees and poops in there too. Her pen has lino on it and I don't think she will ever use stop pooping in the pen as I think it's a territorial thing and also because she poops much her litter tray will be brimming, even though it's cleaned twice a day. I do think I can get her to just wee in her litter tray as she doesn't wee in the mesh part of the hutch where she sleeps. I've just started wiping up her wee with a bit of newspaper and putting it in her litter tray then cleaning the area where she's gone. It's difficult as when I'm out work she may well be weeing outside and I don't catch it as it's dried when I get home but I'm hoping this will work. She never wees around the house or poops a long way from her hutch.

do you mean using hay as their only litter? I could try this but I'd be worried that theyd then associate hay as their litter, and wee on their bedding? because they have hay as some bedding as well, not foraging hay but just general bedding hay :)

They may do but it might be worth a try over summer when they don't need any extra hay for warmth and they may get used to the idea that hay in that area is litter hay. Hope that makes sense.

Back