• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fat neck/chin

okikokikate

Mama Doe
Should my girlie rabbit have a fat neck/chin?
It's like what I'd call a double chin
Just like a fatty chin, bless her

It sounds like a dewlap. Is she overweight? If so, with a managed diet she should lose it. Dewlaps can cause problems such as making it difficult for bunny to clean itself at the backend. They can also become infected underneath. I would ask a vet to tell you if she is overweight.

Yup, its called a dewlap. A very small one is okay, but if it is of any size it means the bun is overweight. Sounds like a certain someone might need a little diet... lol.

Yup, its called a dewlap. A very small one is okay, but if it is of any size it means the bun is overweight. Sounds like a certain someone might need a little diet... lol.

If you meant my mum she eats WAY too much and moans I don't eat enough. She is in her 70's though. If I ever see any signs of a dewlap (I may be genetically predisposed) I'll be straight to the plastic surgeons!! One of my nieces asked her why she had two chins when they were little. Out of the mouths of babes.........:lol:

If you meant my mum she eats WAY too much and moans I don't eat enough. She is in her 70's though. If I ever see any signs of a dewlap (I may be genetically predisposed) I'll be straight to the plastic surgeons!! One of my nieces asked her why she had two chins when they were little. Out of the mouths of babes.........:lol:

Hahahahaha no, I meant the bunny should go on a diet! I wouldn't be so rude! lol.

Ive a girl who is definatley not overweight and has a dewlap so weight is not always an issue
I also have a boy who has a developed a dewlap after neuter :roll:

She same from a rescue eating Russell rabbit muesli, but as she was leaving certain parts of it every time I've slowly changed her to Science Selective (as recommended by Ru'ers :) )

How much of SS should I be giving her? 10g doesn't look much - she's around 7 months old now

I too have a dewlap.... :oops::lol::lol::lol:

Is she neutered? Entire does, or those neutered late are very prone to them.

10g SS sounds fine, as long as her weight is stable. If she starts losing weight I'd increase it a little.

She same from a rescue eating Russell rabbit muesli, but as she was leaving certain parts of it every time I've slowly changed her to Science Selective (as recommended by Ru'ers :) )

How much of SS should I be giving her? 10g doesn't look much - she's around 7 months old now

I too have a dewlap.... :oops::lol::lol::lol:

I have three ;)

It varies greatly on how much pellets people feed, depending on their bunnies. Some people/vets recommened an egg cup of pellets a day. My pair get about an eggcup a day and that suits them fine. However Boris has about two eggcups full a day as I find that one egg cup full wasn't enough. Hay should make up most of the diet with not many pellets alongside.

my girl has a dewlap its biggish but shes not overwieght and washes herself alot
i thought big buns have big dewlaps anway

She is neutured.

I will make sure I weigh the pellets every time, to make sure I really am giving her 10g and not a guesstimate :oops:

She does eat hay too, and a little green something everyday

My Poppy has a huge one :D we call them her boobies :lol: She only eats pellets so that's why it's big but she's always had a large one :lol: Lola has a very small one, and Donny has a small one :roll: but he's a poof.

Poppy and her boobies :D

311143_2402723227951_1247194459_32876150_6397288_n.jpg

My Poppy has a huge one :D we call them her boobies :lol: She only eats pellets so that's why it's big but she's always had a large one :lol: Lola has a very small one, and Donny has a small one :roll: but he's a poof.

Poppy and her boobies :D

311143_2402723227951_1247194459_32876150_6397288_n.jpg

aww:love: her boobies :lol:

our mini lop had a quite a dewlap (very exaggerated when flopped out), when we first got her
**note of warning*** when she had a stomach upset and was worryingly underweight she still had a dewlap
vet advised me that when considering what is healthy , you should feel the back and if you can feel the spine easily under the fur , the rabbit is generally underweight, she went a lot more by feel than look or physical weight
she also said females should have more of a dewlap than males, something to do with mothering/nesting (can't remember those specifics)
think the vet also mentioned breed can determine dewlap

our mini lop had a quite a dewlap (very exaggerated when flopped out), when we first got her
**note of warning*** when she had a stomach upset and was worryingly underweight she still had a dewlap
vet advised me that when considering what is healthy , you should feel the back and if you can feel the spine easily under the fur , the rabbit is generally underweight, she went a lot more by feel than look or physical weight
she also said females should have more of a dewlap than males, something to do with mothering/nesting (can't remember those specifics)
think the vet also mentioned breed can determine dewlap

Unneutered females develop a dewlap as both a fat store (breeding, especially pretty much back-to-back like in the wild, puts huge strain on a does body) and as somewhere they can pluck the fur from to make their nests. Hence why unneutered does, or those neutered later in life (like Poppy with her boobies :lol: ) have bigger dewlaps than neutered does. Hormones play a big part, as well as breed and weight. :wave:

oh that be why my bun amy has a big one since she was spayed at 2 maybe should have been done early upps :roll:
shes a big girl :D
DSCF6105.jpg

Back