• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Putting sore hock bunny onto grass for evenings

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
hello

I cleaned the rabbits' hay run today and whilst it was all drying, I put their run onto grass and let them onto it. It was so sweet, watching them binkying and running around, really enjoying being back on grass (if only for 10 minutes). ;) They are never allowed on grass now long-term because I've found that hay is the best substrate for Molly's hocks. Our soil is clay so when it is dry (like now), it is hard as concrete. So they can never be on grass long term.

However, seeing how happy they were today, I'm wondering whether to get them a run just for them to use on grass, for 1-3 hours in the evenings when it is dry (which realistically will only be 2-3 times a week, due to our British weather :roll:). Is this sensible? Am I going to ruin all my hard work in maintaining and stabilizing Molly's hocks? They are very stable at the moment, however with summer coming, its likely to get worse, whatever I do. Should i allow them to have their fun time, especially as they are nearing 5 years old (elderly babies :cry:) and they should be enjoying the fun parts of bunny life?

hello

I cleaned the rabbits' hay run today and whilst it was all drying, I put their run onto grass and let them onto it. It was so sweet, watching them binkying and running around, really enjoying being back on grass (if only for 10 minutes). ;) They are never allowed on grass now long-term because I've found that hay is the best substrate for Molly's hocks. Our soil is clay so when it is dry (like now), it is hard as concrete. So they can never be on grass long term.

However, seeing how happy they were today, I'm wondering whether to get them a run just for them to use on grass, for 1-3 hours in the evenings when it is dry (which realistically will only be 2-3 times a week, due to our British weather :roll:). Is this sensible? Am I going to ruin all my hard work in maintaining and stabilizing Molly's hocks? They are very stable at the moment, however with summer coming, its likely to get worse, whatever I do. Should i allow them to have their fun time, especially as they are nearing 5 years old (elderly babies :cry:) and they should be enjoying the fun parts of bunny life?

Not really elderly at 5, more like middle aged! My oldest bun was 12 when she passed so fingers crossed you have many more years to come! Can't answer your qu though, but sure someone else can!

*bump*

tasteofchaos - I know, but I didn't expect Molly to reach her first birthday, and now she's only months from her 5th birthday. I'm so proud of her. :D

Back