• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

don't really know what to do with Elsa :(

ElsasMummy

Warren Scout
I don't know what to think with Elsa at the minute.

Last dental was in Jan and she'd seemed fine since then until 2 weeks ago she had a dental check and since then seems to be chewing on air again. Her eating has been messed up because excel mature changed and she wouldn't eat the new pellets (pretty annoyed about that) so shes now eating a mixture of normal excel, the mature pellets which she will only eat wet and science selective and has been having tiny poos plus a mucky bum.

AND since coming off baytril and metacam due to her teeth improving shes been sneezing a bit.

Have booked in for a dental on Tuesday but I feel like there's other issues too. Feel lost. She seems ok in herself, quite lively. I'll be discussing with vet on Tues. Not going to take her in before as it stresses her SO much which seems to make everything worse.

Why are they so difficult to look after :(

I think a dental is the right thing to do. It is very hard because rabbits hide their symptoms and pain so well. I've had the same thing with Grim, I just didn't know what was wrong but in the end it was his teeth.

I would be very careful about booking her in for dental if you suspect underlying issues. My dental bun, Ellie, had a suspected UTI/kidney problems which seemed to clear up so I booked her in for a dental. She died whilst under the GA :cry: I would make sure she is 100% healthy unless you have no other option.

Just don't want anybody to make the same awful mistake I made.

Thank you. Yes I think perhaps the symptoms are linked, just think the fact that I've been forced to change her food has put her off balance too, hope he tum settles down before Tues as I know the GA plays havoc with it too. Poor bun!

Oh gosh sorry to hear that vegan bunny :(

I'll keep an eye on her over the weekend, won't take her in for the dental unless the other symptoms settle. It's so difficult to get the balance right :(

Had your bun had other succesful GAs before that one?
x

Yes she had dentals roughly every 6 weeks for over a year so it was an awful shock. :( I will never forgive myself as I don't know if the vet made a mistake or if she the underlying problems were to blame. The vet had performed a dental on her before and she had been perfectly ok afterwards so I assume it was an underlying problem and so was entirely my fault. I have changed vets now just in case as my other bun had a bad reaction to the GA after the same vet did a dental on him.

I hope Elsa will be ok. Do what you think is right by her. If you have any gut feelings that she isn't 100% right on the day then cancel it. Hell, I wish O had with Ellie.

Oh :( It absolutely wasn't your fault, you did what you thought was best. And I really appreciate you sharing you experience to help me.

I will keep a really good eye on her keeping everything in mind.

And yes I'll go with gut feeling, I cancelled the last dental on the day because she'd been so well I couldn't let her go under GA for little/no reason. Really hard decision to make.

Elsa's poo has started to get back to normal and I think the sneezing is related to dental issues as it has been in the past. Currently her only quirk is that she won't take pellets unless they're soggy which of course suggests spurs. So think the dental tomorrow will be going ahead. It'll e we 5th one but I do worry every time :(

Have just dropped her off. Felt like the right thing to do. Other symptoms have settled but she's going to go back on antibiotics for the sneezing.

Have just brought Elsa home after the dental. She's not very awake :( she's just flopped in her carrier. She's normally quite active by now but dental was only completed 2 hours ago so I'll give her a chance. Have put some tempting food right next to her and a hot water bottle. Going to try to leave her alone for half an hour or so. Poor bun bun x

Aww bless her. Good idea with the hot water bottle, when I Fiver home after his last dental he was so ill. He was freezing cold and all floppy :evil: He shouldn't have been let home tbh but I nursed him through the night and after sevral cuddles under the duvet he started to maintain his own body temperature. As long as she isn't too cold and starts eating she should be ok.

Sending her lots of recovery vibes ))))))

Aw just went and checked and she's on her feet and eating a dandelion leaf, she never fails to surprise me. Vet nurse couldn't believe her age

Well Elsa didnt stop eating/pooing/weeing through the night (about 40 pellets, 10 dandelion leaves and some apple-fatty!!) but she's still not come out of her carrier that I placed in the hutch! Not sure whether to pick her up out of it n encourage her to hop about or just let her have the extra shelter from the rain til the end of the day?

Yes, 0.5ml of dog metacam today (she's 1.6kg) I think if I put the carrier in the garden she'll hop out but it's all drizzly and I think she might be better off in the hutch!

She may just feel safer in the carrier :)

My bridge bun Ellie used to take a couple of days to go back to normal after a dental. She would run away from me when I walked in the room for about a week afterwards. :roll:
Fiver took a while to start moving about more but he had a bad reaction to the GA (or he was given too much..I'll never know) and it took him about a week to be totally ok again.

Yeh I guess she's had a pretty terrifying ordeal with strange noises/people/smells, the GA followed by jabs and her mouth feeling different. I'll encourage her to have a hop about this evening but if she's happy in the carrier for now I'll leave her be :) thank you for your help x

Put carrier in the garden and she hopped right out, she's fine on her feet. Looks a real scruff though so I'm glad to see her grooming herself!

Back