• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How often do you Panacur?

Only if I suspect there is a reason too, not as a matter of course. I try not to fill my pets full of chemicals unless necessary.

I did a 28 day course about a year ago. I don't regularly Panacur and I wouldn't panacur unless there were symptoms of suspect e.culi. Apparently, if the rabbit has a 28 day course, it will protect them unless they are introduced to another rabbit (who may have e.culi).

if you have a bun with ec do you need to panacur more than the first 28 day course?
gypsy had ec 7 months ago and i treated both buns again last month

Fab , thanks guys. About two years ago one of my buns died suddenly and as precaution my vet advised the rest of my group have 28day course ( as PM results were not back for two weeks). Since then only Meg and Vince have come into the house and I did them as soon as I got them, so without knowing it I've done the right thing. Only reason I asked is because someone messaged me on fb saying I should do them as routine. I thought not. Thanks everyone for replying x

I did 2 of mine in October, I am due to start bonding into a quad in around a weeks time. I'm treating them all to it now then prob won't do it again for another year

Every six months for 9 days each time or for buns I've had that are prone to illness I've given it to them every 3 or 4 months for 9 days. I also treat if I get a new bun or if they are going to mix because I understand that EC can lie dormant until the rabbit becomes stressed.

You can carry EC on your shoes, it can come in the hay, they could pick it up just on their annual vet check, a bun with EC is heart breaking anything you can do to prevent it is worth it plus if you have anyone in the house with a suppressed immune system it can affect them too.

Fab , thanks guys. About two years ago one of my buns died suddenly and as precaution my vet advised the rest of my group have 28day course ( as PM results were not back for two weeks). Since then only Meg and Vince have come into the house and I did them as soon as I got them, so without knowing it I've done the right thing. Only reason I asked is because someone messaged me on fb saying I should do them as routine. I thought not. Thanks everyone for replying x

The whole EC debate is ever changing. People just have to do what they believe to be right and with consultation with a Vet they trust

I have used my 'one off 28 day course' for over 10 years. So far it has proved to be appropriate and I have taken in many health compromised Rabbits, including those with a blood test confirmed 'active' EC

Until there is more research I personally dont think anyone can say for absolute certain what is the 'right' thing to do. So for now I am sticking with what has worked here :)

I do a 28 day course for all rabbits who arrive here, my own and fosters. After that it is only if they needed it on the vet's instruction.

I do a 28 day course for all rabbits who arrive here, my own and fosters. After that it is only if they needed it on the vet's instruction.

Thanks Hun. This is what I've done. I just wanted to see what the majority on here did and get confirmation I didn't need to do them again xx

Back