• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Summer - she needs loving thoughts - u/d pst 15 more pictures from today

ShazzaBunny

Warren Veteran
Summer had sores on her back a few weeks ago from Willow being a bit OTT with the humping :oops: (Willow had not been spayed, but bonded quite well into the trio). Anyway, the sores were healing nicely, and on vet advice, no antibitics were given as there was no infection. Willow has been spayed now, and is being as good as gold :D.

Last night, one of the sores was weeping, so i phoned the vet today for a check up. It turns out it was just a scab had came off, and it was rescabbed and clean today. However, i had also noticed Summer had lost weight and was a bit "lame" on one of her hind legs :(.

For those who dont know, Summer is blind (one eye removed, the other useless due to EC) and brain damaged from EC. She has very short legs for a dwarf lop, and she always sits slightly "froggy" because of this.

On investigation by the vet, Summer has a mass/growth right in beside her hip on the left side :(. While this is not causing discomfort to Summer, it is stopping her fully extending her leg :?. In three weeks she has dropped a bit of weight too (cant remember now how much, not loads, but enough for 3 weeks when she is eating like normal :?).

Anyway, the options were to do blood tests to find the cause of the weight loss.
And to biopsy the leg to find what it is. However, given the place of the "mass" there is no operation available to save the leg (even removal would be out, because it is the hip/pelvis that is affected). I have made the decision not to biopsy and not to operate, as i believe it is for *my* personal gain, not whats best for poor Summer.

Considering she was at the vet 3 weeks ago having the exact same check up she had today, and this hip issue was not apparent then, whatever is causng it appears aggressive :(.

As long as Summer is happy i will spoil her rotten, but sadly, she is on borrowed time, any spare love and vibes you can send her would be greatly appreciated.

Before i get the negative replies, i am strongly of the opinion "just because we can do it, doesnt mean we should". Basically meaning, further investigation, while possible, does not give any gain to Summer, so i wont be doing it.

Last edited:
I'm really sorry to read this. Hugs to you and noserubs to beautiful Summer xxxxxx

Summer had sores on her back a few weeks ago from Willow being a bit OTT with the humping :oops: (Willow had not been spayed, but bonded quite well into the trio). Anyway, the sores were healing nicely, and on vet advice, no antibitics were given as there was no infection. Willow has been spayed now, and is being as good as gold :D.

Last night, one of the sores was weeping, so i phoned the vet today for a check up. It turns out it was just a scab had came off, and it was rescabbed and clean today. However, i had also noticed Summer had lost weight and was a bit "lame" on one of her hind legs :(.

For those who dont know, Summer is blind (one eye removed, the other useless due to EC) and brain damaged from EC. She has very short legs for a dwarf lop, and she always sits slightly "froggy" because of this.

On investigation by the vet, Summer has a mass/growth right in beside her hip on the left side :(. While this is not causing discomfort to Summer, it is stopping her fully extending her leg :?. In three weeks she has dropped a bit of weight too (cant remember now how much, not loads, but enough for 3 weeks when she is eating like normal :?).

Anyway, the options were to do blood tests to find the cause of the weight loss.
And to biopsy the leg to find what it is. However, given the place of the "mass" there is no operation available to save the leg (even removal would be out, because it is the hip/pelvis that is affected). I have made the decision not to biopsy and not to operate, as i believe it is for *my* personal gain, not whats best for poor Summer.

Considering she was at the vet 3 weeks ago having the exact same check up she had today, and this hip issue was not apparent then, whatever is causng it appears aggressive :(.

As long as Summer is happy i will spoil her rotten, but sadly, she is on borrowed time, any spare love and vibes you can send her would be greatly appreciated.

Before i get the negative replies, i am strongly of the opinion "just because we can do it, doesnt mean we should". Basically meaning, further investigation, while possible, does not give any gain to Summer, so i wont be doing it.

Absolutely agree with you.

Quality of life ALWAYS takes priority over quantity

I hope that Summer remains comfortable for her remaining time. She will have no anxieties relating to her prognosis, she will just carry on as normal without all the worry of 'knowing'. Sadly you have to do the 'knowing'. I understand how hard that can be xx

A picture of the swollen hip :( i dont believe it looked that big this morning :cry: though maybe i am overreacting.

(excuse the pee and scattered food :oops:)

561917_10150798117356416_566596415_11865824_627060643_n.jpg

Thank you Susan, Fiona and Liz :D

Absolutely agree with you.

Quality of life ALWAYS takes priority over quantity

I hope that Summer remains comfortable for her remaining time. She will have no anxieties relating to her prognosis, she will just carry on as normal without all the worry of 'knowing'. Sadly you have to do the 'knowing'. I understand how hard that can be xx

Thank you Jane, you know, thats is very very true :D.

Poor Summer, I completely understand your decision and hope she has more comfy time than you think. :love:

That is a serious lump, I am so sorry that she has it. I totally understand and agree with your decision having faced similar. There is nothing to be accomplished by tests and vet visits. Her last while can be filled with love, peace, her friends and lots and lots of spoiling.
((((((((((hugs)))))))))))

Oh no, I'm so sorry :cry: That looks just like foster bun Marshall's lump. I hope you have a lot of quality time left together. Sending lots of vibes for Summer xx

Thanks for the messages.

Summer's leg has deteriorated quickly :( she is still happy enough, but she is frustrated that her leg just wont do what she wants it to :(.
She spends most of her time in her hay basket, gratefully recieiving any treats that come her way :love:.
Im in a dilema, i judge a bunnies will to live by their eyes, but she is missing one and has white mass on the other (not a cateract but similar) so its hard to judge. Is her willingness to eat enough to judge she is content to stay with us?

:( :love::love::love::love:

Today - do you think it looks bigger than when i originally posted a picture?

summer005.jpg

Her "good" side

summer009.jpg

The "bad" side

summer008.jpg

Still beautiful

summer007.jpg

I love her so much, this is heartbreaking :cry:

I am so sorry about Summer. I can't really say if it looks bigger or not, and I assume it's good she still wants to eat. Thinking of her and you. X

Oh bless her, can't really say if the lump is looking bigger as I can't really tell sorry. She is beautiful, still thinking of you both xxxxx

i dont know if it is any bigger or not:? at the end of the day she will let you know when shes had enough...only you will know what the right thing to do is and when..no one will judge you...bunny licks to you and summer:love:

I am so frustrated for you, it is so upsetting. There was a program I watched that suggested looking at three things to measure quality of life, eating, exercise and fun. Is the animal enjoying all three as normal? If not, well you know . I realise there's a lot more to it than that but I thought it was a useful base line to work from. You love her so much that there is no way you will miss it when she tells you she's had enough.

Back