• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best sort of partner for a blind bunny please??

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
I am thinking ahead, but my beautiful blind bunny, Sweetpea has been with me for 2 weeks now and is doing really well indoors. She has had no contact with any of my other buns who are all outside. Sweetpea is a 6 month old approx, medium sized cashmere lop with cataracts but is doing well finding her way round her current set up. What type of bun would be best for her as a companion? Male or female? Similar age and size? I would have thought a calm bunny as opposed to a highly energetic one (though I may be wrong?) and eventually I would prefer her to be an outdoor bun at the appropriate time - but can blind bunnies be outdoors?? Any help from knowledgeable and experienced owners would be great thanks xx Also when is it a good idea to introduce her to my other buns - the vet has said she is fine and healthy from a basic check but is there a recommended quarantine period?

I would say a nice calm male would be the best, and hopefully a nice straight forward bond :D

I have had blind bunnies live out doors before, but a lot lived indoors because they have had additional issues.

I would keep her quarantined until the course of panacur is finished.

I assume you be neutering her before the bond as this will make bonding much easier :D

Hi Liz,
Yes she will be neutered - never found out her age but at a guess 6 months. I thought a nice calm boy bunny too (do they exist :lol::lol:) I was thinking about the possibility of maybe bonding into one of my couples but they're all in double decker hutches and not sure if she could climb?

Blind bunnies can do everything normal bunnies can, just as long as you don't move things around. :D

Blind bunnies can do everything normal bunnies can, just as long as you don't move things around. :D

:thumb::thumb: What about climbing ramps?? I guess if it is wide enough and safe enough it should be okay and Sweetpea is young, healthy and energetic so no real need to worry I guess - I just want the best for her and maybe I'm a bit of an over cautious Mummy :love::love:

:thumb::thumb: What about climbing ramps?? I guess if it is wide enough and safe enough it should be okay and Sweetpea is young, healthy and energetic so no real need to worry I guess - I just want the best for her and maybe I'm a bit of an over cautious Mummy :love::love:

I avoid ramps with Summer, mainly due to the depth perception (sp) issue :D

Summer has a gorgeous squashy face :love::love::love: is she bonded? Is there anything special to learn about bonding a blind bun?

Summer has a gorgeous squashy face :love::love::love: is she bonded? Is there anything special to learn about bonding a blind bun?

Thank you :D she is a wonderful brave wee girl. Sadly she is very poorly just now (there is a thread in this section :().

She is bonded in a trio :D, Giles is a very calm bunny, he was abandoned in a carpark with various health issues, so when i picked Summer from the rescue, i was looking for a calm bunny for him :lol:. They fell in love at once, no humping no nothing, just in love :love:.

I added Willow recently as Summer was getting more affected by the brain damage, i felt Giles would appreciate a friend he could be active with, while Summer was happy "in Summers world" :love:. Both bunnies lick Summer and snuggle with her, then they go away and play together.

Willow was very humpy recently with Giles (spring time), but tended to leave Summer alone (until she gave her a few nips hurting her back 3 weeks ago, promting Willow's overdue spay). It has all settled again now, so i would say, as with all bondings, make sure the bunnies are neutered, i was a bit naughty bonding before i spayed Willow.

So basically, a nice calm bunny, but even if the bunny you bond with Sweetpea is not overly calm, as long as Sweetpea is not bothered by the activity, its not a problem. I have seen Summer hump both Giles and Wilow, she is not as innocent as she looks :love:

I will watch for updates, but its the same as with all bondings really, the bunnies choose their friend, so you may find Sweetpea does not like a calm bunny but falls for a firecracker ha ha :D

Last edited:
Barney has had cateracts from birth which have got worse over the last couple of years. It doesn't really seem to bother him. Roxy isn't particularly calm to be honest but they absolutely adore each other and it helped Barney's confidence incredibly to have a partner. She is very sweet with him and when they lived in my living room (and mainly hung out behind my sofa :roll:) she would run to get him for food if he hadn't noticed it :love:

Cateracts is probably easier to deal with than complete blindness as they can usually at least see something.

Bumble is a former BARC bun who is partially sighted - almost blind. Initially I was going to bond him with Frangipan (a young female BARC bunny) but in the end he got fed up with waiting for me to get around to it and bonded himself to Dylan (male) and Molly (female), both 'mature' buns.

I therefore ended up bonding a quad. I was very nervous about bonding a blind bun - but it was one of the easiest bonds I have ever done. Bumble and Frangipan are now very much a couple but get on well with Dylan and Molly.

Bumble is so much happier now and doesn't climb on the top of the hutch any longer (think he was searching for company). Frangipan is clearly more content too. I am hoping that once Bumble goes completely blind Frangipan will be his eyes in the same way as Faye is Furby's ears (Furby is completely deaf).

Back