• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

what 'toys' do your rabbits play with ?

julie s

Young Bun
hi we have had our rabbits for nearly 2 months now :) we are new to rabbit ownership , and loving it ! they are outside in a large hutch with a run attached . they have a couple of hours a day supervised in the garden as well . in their run at the moment they have various types of balls , flower pots and a large tunnel . they never seem to play with any of their toys though ! i have given them toilet roll tubes stuffed with hay , they are the only things i have found them to be remotely interested in ! when they have the run of the garden they take full advantage , digging and running and making general mischeif :lol: any ideas of what i could put in their run to make it nicer for them ? they don't seem to be bored and just chill out most of the time .

The only toys mine play with are fleeces which they like to dig, cardboard boxes and sometimes the odd ball. A sea grass one and one with a jingly thing in went down well for about a week until they got bored. :lol:

The only toys mine play with are fleeces which they like to dig, cardboard boxes and sometimes the odd ball. A sea grass one and one with a jingly thing in went down well for about a week until they got bored. :lol:

i have a jingly one too but i tend to put treats inside it :D

hi jenova :wave: what are fleeces ? sorry if that sounds dumb ! i have some fleece blankets from when the children where babies , is that what you mean ? thanks .

Mine don't seem all that interested in toys.. I made and tried a few different things when I first got them but they never seemed to play so haven't advanced much! They have a swinging ball to put hay and snacks in and they have their dinner in plastic plant pots that they chuck around to empty, they have a loo roll filled with hay... They onlylike toys connected with snacks!!!!!

yep thats something else i bought them - a baby rattle - not slightly interested lol they have a jingle ball that only the kids play with when they go and sit in the run with them ! i bought them a rope dog toy type thing that i slung out today as it hasn't been touched since i put in the run ! maybe they are just content to laze the day away ! I feel kinda bad they don't play . maybe i am worrying too much , but just wanna give them a nice life ! thank you all for sharing what toys your rabbits like .

hi jenova :wave: what are fleeces ? sorry if that sounds dumb ! i have some fleece blankets from when the children where babies , is that what you mean ? thanks .

Yeah, I have a couple of baby blankets from poundland. They like to dig them up and massage them out and then lie on them. They get a bit ruined but as I only paid a pound it doesn't matter. :D

yep thats something else i bought them - a baby rattle - not slightly interested lol they have a jingle ball that only the kids play with when they go and sit in the run with them ! i bought them a rope dog toy type thing that i slung out today as it hasn't been touched since i put in the run ! maybe they are just content to laze the day away ! I feel kinda bad they don't play . maybe i am worrying too much , but just wanna give them a nice life ! thank you all for sharing what toys your rabbits like .

Some bunnies just don't like toys, only one of my three does. A cardboard box seems to entertain every bunny, and I have never found a bunny that doesn't like tunnels...
http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...&sa=X&ei=VKGJT7MPya_RBaq-8coJ&ved=0CGIQ8wIwAA

Ozzie had a cardboard tunnel: ignored it! A fiddlesticks hidey tunnel: nope! would only use it as a ramp. Jingly cat toys: just looked uninterested! Baby rattle keys? Boring! Toilet roll tubes... no. He loved his underbed storage litter tray which he'd jump into with joy. He liked cardboard boxes a lot but he chewed the sides off & then tried to lie on the top & they'd collapse.... so he also had a dolls' house...:lol::lol: that he could stretch out on top of on a fleece & use the bottom storey as a tunnel! Loved that! His favourite thing of all was the TREAT BALL!! (the yellow plastic one with raised carrot pattern & stuffed with pellets from his daily allowance.) Now that made his day & he did play with it a lot. And the dragon draught excluder was a big hit & he chinned it daily!

mine have:

cardboard boxes
egg boxes
toilet rolls filled with hay
wooden sticks

- pretty much anything that is destroyable and replaceable :thumb: :lol:

Yeah, I have a couple of baby blankets from poundland. They like to dig them up and massage them out and then lie on them. They get a bit ruined but as I only paid a pound it doesn't matter. :D

fab thank you , something different for them :thumb: will dig out the baby blankets i have put away , and try them , one of our buns quickly got renamed to digger so she may well enjoy it .

mine have:

cardboard boxes
egg boxes
toilet rolls filled with hay
wooden sticks

- pretty much anything that is destroyable and replaceable :thumb: :lol:

cardboard is about the only thing i have found they like - if they digest too much will it harm them ?

cardboard is about the only thing i have found they like - if they digest too much will it harm them ?

It can do. They don't often ingest it, the do rip it with their teeth but usually you find all the bits on the floor. If they actually start to eat it it's best to remove it as it can cause blockages, but not all the time.

I just thought, apple sticks are great and they can eat those. Even with the leaves on. :D

It can do. They don't often ingest it, the do rip it with their teeth but usually you find all the bits on the floor. If they actually start to eat it it's best to remove it as it can cause blockages, but not all the time.

I just thought, apple sticks are great and they can eat those. Even with the leaves on. :D

Yeah,mine love playing with cardboard boxes too but do tear them to shreds! I worry about them eating the cardboard and nto sure how to tell if they do?? there are always some shreds on the floor?? One of my buns was very ill in February and I did wonder if he'd got a blockage either from the cardboard or from his moulting fur! But the vet didn't think it was a blockage, he'd stopped eating and his stomach had gone swollen looking :( Luckily after a couple of expensive vet trips and 3 or 4 up-all-night sessions he started to recover! and nowadays he's as happy as ever :) Thank goodness! :)

Back