• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

you dont bath bunnies do you?

missFloppyears

Warren Veteran
as title?
unless they are poorly you dont bath bunnies do you?
im discussing with someone who runs a rescue, and she says you can bath rabbits :?
now im uber confused

You can, if they need it. But it doesn't need to be done regularly, like with humans and some pets.

My current buns are 2 and 4, they've never had a bath. But my last bunny had two in her 7 years, when she got a mucky bottom, and the second time, when someone spilt blackcurrent juice on her! :oops:

Lily-Shane had the occasional botty bath when mucky as she was so diabled and couldnt do it herself.
It really is a no no.xxx

It's not a good idea unless you have a good reason for it (mucky bum, need to get something potentionally dangerous off them). Rabbits struggle to keep their body temp in check when they're wet so it can be dangerous, especially if you stick them straight back into a hutch when it's just been done I believe

DOnt think so hun, :lol:
see i dont actually know the ins and outs of why i just know you dont so i was in no position to tell her otherwise lol,

hows your little bun doing??:love:

He's much better now thanks :) He's a bit quiet still (as is Milly from the stress of the vets!) but he's eating again :)

Squidgy used to have a botty bath, as he had no incisors and couldn't clean himself very well. Not very often though.
The only time I was told to bath a bunny is when I got my first house bunny, Flopsy, and she had fleas, but was too young to have the medication (this is going back around 12 years), so she had a bath with special shampoo..
Hope you all managed to get your points across!

yuki has to have baths as she has toilet issues... I spend ages drying her and keeping her warm until shes in a safe condition to put her back

I think it should only be done if necessary, its very stressful. When B had incontinence I was bathing his bum every 1-2 days, to get the urine off him so it wouldnt burn. It made his snuffles really play up :( I always made sure the heating was on and the flat was warm so he wouldnt get a chill.

But now, he has a sticky patch on his back from where he's gotten something on it, he's had it for 2 weeks now and I cant get it off, but I still wouldnt consider giving him a bath for it. I'll give it a wipe, but not a full bath, way too stressful.

Back