• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Think I found a good cavy savvy vets? :)

deb_h

Warren Scout
Well I was ringing round different vets yesterday enquiring where has the combined vaccine for myxomatosis and VHD and asking if both of my buns could have it and have they any info on it. Rarebit (15 month old male) has had myxi but not vhd and lopi (11 month old female) has had none of them. For those who don't know I adopted them both from a friend last saturday.

So i rang about 5-6 vets local to me. Two of them didn't seem to have a clue, a couple more new about it but wasn't sure when they were getting it in, the 5th had it and new a little about it but seemed to get a bit confused when I asked her if rarebit could have it done but then the last one I rang was great. The lady that I spoke to really new what she was talking about, she advised not to have rarebit done and said that the jab was not licensed to do buns that have already had the mixy and i should talk to the vet more about it. I then mentioned I'm new to buns and a little nervous about holding lopi when she has her jab etc. she then told me not to worry, they will make sure to have 2 nurses in that day and one will be with me to hold lopi when she has the jab.Then she end on to give me lots more info on buns, offered to book me in for half hour with one of the nurses for a free bunny chat and advice on everything :) I asked about neutering lopi and she said I should take some of her bedding etc so she recognises the smell. I then asked if I could bring rarebit with her as they were bonded and she said that is absolutely fine.

Non of the other 5 vets surgeries went into so much detail or we're so helpful with me.

They sound like a good cavy savvy vets to me. What do you guys think??

I have booked them both in for there jabs on tuesday and depending how things go I will be booking lopi in to get spayed :D

Deb xx

did you ask what gas they use? isoflurane is bunny safe and make sure that they say not to starve the bun before the op...take in some bunny foods for the bun to have after the op...jacks-jane is one of the best people to talk to...
maybe someone on here might be able to tell you of the vet they use near you, i live in kent so cant help:lol:
the vets that you spoke about do sound ok though

Thanks for that rabbitmum. I didn't ask what gas they use but will defiantly make a point to do so at the appointment on tuesday. :thumb:

And SarahP I adopted rabbits and guinea pigs recently so looking for a good vet for both (they are kept separately). When looking online lots of sites referred to them as cavy savvy vets. Is that not right? :oops:

Im new to buns and guineas, kept dogs and marine fish for years but fluffys are a whole new world to me, I have been doing lots of research though and joined this forum as I think you cant beat first hand advice :D

So i rang about 5-6 vets local to me. Two of them didn't seem to have a clue, a couple more new about it but wasn't sure when they were getting it in, the 5th had it and new a little about it but seemed to get a bit confused when I asked her if rarebit could have it done but then the last one I rang was great. The lady that I spoke to really new what she was talking about, she advised not to have rarebit done and said that the jab was not licensed to do buns that have already had the mixy and i should talk to the vet more about it.

I work at a vets and as far as we are aware there is no licensing issue with previously vaccinated bunnies. There is a warning that it might not be so effective against the RHD part if the bunny has already been vaccinated, however, from what I understand and the info we have been told/sent that applies more to rabbits on the European continent mainland and not us as they use a different type of myxo vaccine than we do.

I work at a vets and as far as we are aware there is no licensing issue with previously vaccinated bunnies. There is a warning that it might not be so effective against the RHD part if the bunny has already been vaccinated, however, from what I understand and the info we have been told/sent that applies more to rabbits on the European continent mainland and not us as they use a different type of myxo vaccine than we do.

Thank you. I will have a good chat with the vet tomorrow.

Would you recommend i have rarebit done with the combined. he has had a myxi jab once and that was 12 months ago.

Thanks again :)

Back