• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is my rabbit pregnant?

DottieLottie

New Kit
Sorry, im new to this but im writing about my rabbit, Dottie.

I bought with her 'sister', Lottie when they were 8 weeks old. I have heard that they are not always sexed properly at this age. About a week ago, Dottie started making a nest with straw, hay and her own fur but Lottie just pulled it out and that made Dottie upset and a tad fiesty. So we split them up and now Dottie has made a beautiful nest. But she hasn't had any babies? :/ I know that rabbits can have false pregnancies but it seems so real; she has even got big teats and everything.

Please help!

the best way to find out would be to take her to the vets. I had a foster cat recently who I was convinced was pregnant, her stomach was swollen, she lost fur around her nipples and they got bigger, she was incredibly affectionate and very vocal, even the vets were convinced! but 1 ultra sound scan later revealed it was just a phantom :lol: I believe they can actually lactate :shock:

A vet will be able to palpate the abdomen and/or do an ultrasound scan to decide if she is or isnt pregnant :wave:

I agree a visit to the vets would be a good idea. Even if you just see the nurse to sex them for you (which is often free) they can tell you if they're both girls or if one is a boy. :wave:

How long is it since you split them up? If it's more than 32 days then she's definately not. I would get her spayed as phantoms increase the risk of uterine cancer (but all symptoms need to be gone first). Your other option rather than stressing her out if she's not far off giving birth is to take the other rabbit to the vet get it sexed. If Lottie is def. a girl then you can rest assured no babies :) Usually their testicles drop between 12 and 16 weeks.

Thanks

Thank you. I probably will take one of them to the vets soon. Its still a bit confusing though... :?
But thanks again. :)

Umm..

I have tried looking at the other one but im still don't know. She/he looks different to Dottie underneath but i dont know if that means anything. But it is just freaking her/him out. However Lottie does have a much larger face and i think that's meant to be a male feature...

I have tried looking at the other one but im still don't know. She/he looks different to Dottie underneath but i dont know if that means anything. But it is just freaking her/him out. However Lottie does have a much larger face and i think that's meant to be a male feature...

Not as far as I am aware

I'd take them both to a competant vet/vet nurse (not all vets are good with sexing rabbits) as this is the best way to get confirmation

My picture on the left is of my wonderful rabbits... Lottie is on the right.
I dont want to stress them out by taking them to the vets but i will if its needed. Is there any less stressful ways of telling if Dottie is pregnant. Sorry about the questions and excuses but i'd just really like to know :?

My picture on the left is of my wonderful rabbits... Lottie is on the right.
I dont want to stress them out by taking them to the vets but i will if its needed. Is there any less stressful ways of telling if Dottie is pregnant. Sorry about the questions and excuses but i'd just really like to know :?

Wait 31 days, but then you might have a lot more rabbits. :)
If you do get her checked by a vet it's possible to have an emergency spay which will stop her having babies but it also works like an abortion so a lot of people are not comfortable doing this and would rather the rabbit have the babies. Why not just take Lottie to get sexed at the vet? If she turns out to be a he then you can assume Dottie is pregnant. If not I really recommend getting them both spayed anyway, it will stop phantom pregnancies and should stop them fighting (when the hormones have calmed down) and also makes them a lot friendlier. Unspayed rabbits can be very territorial.

Make sure they have lots of hay to eat, if she is pregnant she'll need the extra food. :wave:

Sorry, another question!

Sorry to ask so many questions but i need help. I am going to ring and maybe visit the vets tomorrow about the previous problem but now i've got another one.

My two rabbits have been separate for a week now and i'd like to know how long they can stay apart from each other until they will fight or reject each other?? :?

Thanks

Sorry to ask so many questions but i need help. I am going to ring and maybe visit the vets tomorrow about the previous problem but now i've got another one.

My two rabbits have been separate for a week now and i'd like to know how long they can stay apart from each other until they will fight or reject each other?? :?

Thanks

Are they near eachother still? Like in crates/pens next to each other for example?

If you can keep them separate by mesh but they can still see and smell each other they should keep their bond. If you can't, once they are both neutered and any possible kits are weaned you can 'bond' them again. There is a lot of information on here about the different ways you can do that. :wave:

Or if you take lottie and get her/him sexed, if she's a girl you can put them back together and book them in for the spays (be cautious with reintroduction though). If he's a he then you would need to keep them separate until round 6/8 weeks after neuter and rebond.

Yes, they can still see each other as the hutch (where Dottie is) is about 1m away from the run (where Lottie is).

You might be alright and they might stay bonded. I'd still use caution when introducing them to each other. The basic rules are to do it in a neutral area where neither of them have been so no one can be territorial and to watch them all the time they are together for a few days. But other than that some people like to have their rabbits go on 'dates' and have play time together but them separate them and do this a few times before putting them together properly. Some people like to just put them together and watch them straight for three days, sleeping on the floor by the enclosure. And there are other ways too. Sort out babies and neutering etc and we will all have plenty of advice for you. :D

My rabbits are now around 10 months old. Thank you for all of your advice.

I took Lottie to the vets today and they confirmed she was female :cry:. They also suggested that I should destroy Dotties nest but she gets upset if I even touch it too much! And it's so beautiful... Lottie is now shell-shocked by her trip to the vets, Dottie still believes she is pregnant and now I need to find a way of putting them back together without fights and i'd prefer not to sleep outside all night with them!!

Any advice would be gratefully accepted!!! And there isn't anyway that Dottie could be pregnant is there?? She did get out once over christmas but if she got with another rabit then, wouldn't she have had babies already?? :?

Back