• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help is this right???

Stumpy

Alpha Buck
The vet just rang and said don't feed Whisky from 8 Sunday night as she is having her spay on Monday? please tell me if this is correct as im not sure on what to do x

No, definately NOT correct.

Bunnies need to eat continuously, they are fine to eat pre-spay as they can not be sick :)

Definitely, definitely not right! I would be worried about whether your vet has enough knowledge of rabbits to carry out the spay...

As Kermit says, they should not have food withheld and they cannot vomit.

Some vets prefer no food for one hour pre-op in case there is some left in the mouth that could be aspirated.

It might just be the receptionist doing her usual phone calls that has made the mistake, the vet may be fine.

My Vet receptionist gave me a general fact sheet thing away with me before Herbies Incisor extraction, the sheet said that I had to withold food......but my actual vet was fab!

It might just be the receptionist doing her usual phone calls that has made the mistake, the vet may be fine.

My Vet receptionist gave me a general fact sheet thing away with me before Herbies Incisor extraction, the sheet said that I had to withold food......but my actual vet was fab!

ETA - as Kermit says below, was it the receptionist? If so, I would ring back and ask her/him to check if that information was correct and see what the response is.

yep definitely not right Im afraid!!!! call your vet and if they say the same again, I would cancel and find somewhere else:thumb:

I agree. I would ask to speak to the vet doing the operation and confirm everything with him.

It is very dangerous for a rabbit not to eat for that long!

If it's the receptionist giving this advice then the vets need to have a word with them as they could be endangering the life of rabbits. :shock:

I Phone Back

They apologized and said that i am to feed her like normal up to when she is going in at 9. i believe it was the receptionist that had called as the vet has always been fab with me and helped at any point. all sorted now and i have been shopping for her fav foods and some blankets.... how big should the hutch / crate be for her to stay in for the first few days?

The receptionist probably saw 'spay' and assumed cat or dog, who can't eat before the op, but like others said bunnies need to keep eating :)

My to girls shared a 3ft dog cage for the first two nights after their spay :wave: after 2 days, I put a pen around it, making it about 3 x 4 or so.

I have kept my girls in a dog crate big enough for them to have their food and water dishes plus a litter tray with enough room to have a stretch when they need to. A Snugglesafe under a fleece has helped to keep them warm after the anaesthetic and the most important item is pain management with preferably Metacam for the first few days. The vet will probably ensure she is covered for the first day but the next few days are important to keep her as pain free as possible. I believe if they experience pain it will often lead to pulling at the wound.

Best wishes for Whisky.

They apologized and said that i am to feed her like normal up to when she is going in at 9. i believe it was the receptionist that had called as the vet has always been fab with me and helped at any point. all sorted now and i have been shopping for her fav foods and some blankets.... how big should the hutch / crate be for her to stay in for the first few days?

:thumb: Always good to double check.

Make sure she is just on 1 level and has no ramps etc to climb. She will probably be quiet anyway for the first couple of days. Make sure they give you some painkiller to give her when she gets home. They normally give one after the op that lasts for 24 hours but do check this.
Make sure you have some recovery food in case you need to syringe feed her.

Hope all goes well x

Back