• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Starting to feel better.

Ozbun

Warren Scout
I went to our local rescue today with Ozzie's hay & food. I was kind of dreading it... & kind of wanting to be around bunnies... I couldn't take his cage, pen or toys yet, that would be too much at the moment. It did snap me out of my misery, seeing all the buns that need help & the fantastic (and hard) job that the rescue are doing. They even had their giant security bun checking out the visitors! :lol: I am not thinking about getting another bun... but I did have a soft spot for (all of them... &) William who has been there for 6 months, is fed up & really wants a home. It'd be nice if someone read this & adopted him :thumb:

They were helpful in a practical way too, helping me realise that sadly some rabbits will die no matter what you do for them & that Ozzie did have a very nice life in his last months. They also thought that I should complain about the vet. :evil: I still find myself cuddling Ozzie's favourite dragon draught excluder (middle pic in signature) but I'm getting there !

miss my little mate

Having said that, I woke up in tears this morning & slept with Ozzies freshly washed fleece blanket last night! :oops: I can't help thinking that if he'd been living with someone like Jacks Jane, with in-depth knowledge of rabbits, that he might still be here. If it was his teeth that were the problem then it's heartbreaking. The emergency vet told me it could be "hormones' making him quiet, then he wouldn't let me speak & cut me off the phone. When I took him in, the other vet said he had slight spurs but she thought they were fine, he died hours later. A series of farces, when I was exhausted & not able to challenge them. I do not really know what happened. Could he have had an underlying problem from the 1st year of his life when he had no hay at all, sporadic food & green, furry water bottle that kept running out? I'll never know so I have to stop thinking about that, remember the positive & keep supporting animal welfare. But I do miss him. :(

Last sunday, feeling pretty devastated myself, I went to my local farm who were having an open day. I saw lots of animals, including little lambs only a few hours old, 11 little 1 week old piglets and literally hundreds of chicks - i got to hold one too. :) It really helped me because although I was mourning Domino (and pbviously still am :cry:), its good to remind yourself that new little lives are starting all the time xxxx

We have lost several rabbits and other pets; there have been times when we thought the heartbreak of loss was too much, especially as most were adopted from poor circumstances.

Then I found this quote from Cleveland Amory:

"Unlike some people who have experienced the loss of an animal, I did not believe, even for a moment, that I would never get another. I did know full well that there were just too many animals out there in need of homes for me to take what I have always regarded as the self-indulgent road of saying the heartbreak of the loss of an animal was too much ever to want to go through with it again.

To me, such an admission brought up the far more powerful admission that all the wonderful times you had with your animal were not worth the unhappiness at the end."

I hope this helps.

Back