• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spaying my Older Girls

Bellatrix18

Warren Scout
I have just rescued two girls who are around 4 years old. They are both unspayed but I am very nervous about getting them done because of their age.

They have been living with me for a week now and have had a few problems. Holly has a weepy eye and a large lump on her leg. Juni had a short bout of stasis just after arriving here. There have also been a lot of malformed caecal droppings and some poos that were only 1mm in diameter and rock solid-looked a bit like gravel :?

I put them onto a hay only diet and that seems to have cleared up the bad poos. Holly has also been on eye drops for about 5 days. I am off to the vets tomorrow morning to talk about spaying them and to get Holls eye checked again but I was wondering if I should go ahead with the spay in a few days or wait another week or so to make sure their tums are fully settled and to give them a bit more time to settle in to their new home??

I really do want Holly spayed soon because I want the lump removed ASAP but I also am very worried about the stress she'll be under. I also wanted them done at the same time so they aren't having to take two stressful trips to the vets each (Juni especially doesn't seem to enjoy travelling).

Obviously I'll ask my vet about what she thinks but I was wondering what you guys thought. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot!

It sounds like they've well and truly landed on their paws with you!
I would ask the vet tomorrow, but bunny anaesthetic has come a long way in the past few years (so my vet informs me!) and they should be fine.
Glad you've got their diet sorted out, they should be feeling a lot better already.

cecile bunbun wasn't spayed as an adolescent, as she was so tiny. i want to put all four buns together (i'm still chickening out but i'll have to do it this year) so she had to be done last year, when she was five. she had the op, and was hopping about by evening. contrast tabby rabbit, who had her spay at two years old and was ill for weeks. same vets. no explanation. buns vary?

Back