• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Catalax

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
Just had a suggestion from rabbitmum on my thread about Timmy, to put a dab on each paw to help them pass furballs.
Does anyone else use it? Any thoughts on it?
Charlotte especially really struggles when she moults so it would be great to find something that might help.

I wouldn't either. Rabbits guts work in a completely different way to a cats, katalax is more likely to do harm than good, in my opinion. This is because a rabbit's gut contents need to be very well hydrated to work properly, katalax is oil based which means that it will coat the stomach contents and prevent them from absorbing dietary water. This will then make the guts slow down Or even block and that can be very dangerous for a rabbit. It may work effectively as a lubricant in cats, but it is likely to be more dangerous in bunnies.

If there's a problem with a heavy moult I would advise a high fibre diet with leafy vegetables and plenty of fresh water, coupled with a good groom to help get rid of the extra fur to stop the bun from ingesting it. Good luck x

I wouldn't either. Rabbits guts work in a completely different way to a cats, katalax is more likely to do harm than good, in my opinion. This is because a rabbit's gut contents need to be very well hydrated to work properly, katalax is oil based which means that it will coat the stomach contents and prevent them from absorbing dietary water. This will then make the guts slow down Or even block and that can be very dangerous for a rabbit. It may work effectively as a lubricant in cats, but it is likely to be more dangerous in bunnies.

If there's a problem with a heavy moult I would advise a high fibre diet with leafy vegetables and plenty of fresh water, coupled with a good groom to help get rid of the extra fur to stop the bun from ingesting it. Good luck x

Wot Santa said xx

Is this the same sort of stuff as Kittymalt paste?

Yep, virtually the same, just a different manufacturer but still mainly liquid paraffin with a couple of other bits.

Liquid paraffin used to be given to bunnies who it was thought had gut problems, but in recent years this is no longer advised for the reasons I've already outlined. Some vets if they aren't up to date with bunny medicine still do it but I have heard some of the country's top rabbit vets say that it is a bad idea and can be harmful.

Thanks for the explaination, that makes sense :)
I do all of those things for my buns during a moult, but occasionally it still gets them, particularly Charlotte who moults profusely :(

Back