• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bad news on Scarlet's "norty teefs"

RedFraggle

Warren Veteran
I took Scarlet for a check up today. FHB said not to bother if she was eating, but she always eats and I don't think that's a good indicator for a bun that will chomp nuggets 4 hours post dental, so I took her to see "Uncle Nigel" just for a looksee. Now the tooth that grew into her cheek has been removed, the next tooth has started to grow at the same angle. It isn't sharp, and isn't irritating her cheek at all, but he wants to check again in 3 weeks and if it is worse he wants us to go back to FHB again. I really hoped the extractions she had in Feb would be enough but it doesn't look like it. Nigel is wondering if she would be better with no teeth on the rubbish side of her mouth because she doesn't eat on it anyway (which means all the extra hay we've got her chomping only helps on the other side). I'm gutted, she's such a brave little bun and never makes a fuss and I really hoped this was the end of GAs and dental work for her. :(

aww poor girly :( I've heard that buns can do quite well with teeth removed or even no teeth.
I'm sorry she is going through this :(

we had a french lop with no front teefs and hardly any others...she coped really well, so long as we chopped everything really well.hers were removed thanks to recurrent abscesses:cry:..all paws and fingers crossed that it can be sorted once and for all:D

Thanks guys, I am debating suggesting to FHB that the rubbish side is just removed. I am not sure of the pros and cons of removing alot versus doing them one at a time. There must be a fine balance between number of GAs and severity of the procedure, she is exceptionally brave though and recovers really well so I think she'd cope with some drastic dentistry. I just feel so bad for her, even though I realise she is completely unaware of the situation.

I knew it was you! 'Uncle Nigel' was telling me about you today, I thought it sounded familiar. What an awful situation for you and Scarlet :( Poor girl, I hope you can find a solution that works for her xx

I knew it was you! 'Uncle Nigel' was telling me about you today, I thought it sounded familiar. What an awful situation for you and Scarlet :( Poor girl, I hope you can find a solution that works for her xx

Thanks. I think he was as gutted as I was, that's why I have stuck with him as my vet for 13 years now, he seems to genuinely care. Even when I lived in Lincoln for 18 months we kept in touch and I let him know how my rats were (didn't have rabbits then). I knew by his face he wasn't happy when he was looking at her "teefs". Back in 3 weeks for his verdict on whether it's back to FHB or not. I think he finds it frustrating that he can't do what he'd like himself because he just doesn't know enough about how extractions would affect the rest of her teeth. She had such a rubbish start in life, and she is so so brave, he has a real soft spot for her.

*Scarlet* and I thought my veterinary issues were bunfidential

:lol: He just mentioned he'd referred somebunny to FHB for dental problems. It's good to know he's happy to make referrals :) I've seen him a few times with various animals over the last 12 years, but he doesn't work at Acomb very often. Now Jo has left I'm following him around the different surgeries like a stalker :lol: Jo said the new vet knows very little about rabbits :(

He used to do an afternoon at Acomb but I don't think he's there regularly at all. I go out to Haxby as he's there every morning first thing.
I saw Karen Ozel the other month (when I panicked over Ori who had in fact just been spooked by next doors staffy but I didn't realise at the time!) and she did everything I'd expect for a rabbit that seemed a bit off and I was pretty impressed. She didn't miss a thing (and even checked his bits much to his dismay!). Haven't seen her again, but she'd be my first choice if Nigel isn't in.

Back