• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are Rabbits for You?

The Duchess

Wise Old Thumper
The main reason for rabbits needing to come into rescue space used to be 'kids got bored' or 'can't afford it' or 'got a new puppy', having a baby, or of course abuse/neglect.

Times seemed to have changed and here at The Rabbit Crossing, I have seen a trend that sees many more much loved and previously well cared for rabbits (and yes pairs rather than lonely single buns) coming in looking for a new home. With the shift in the economic state of the country, more often it is down to a change in personal circumstances, which might be downsizing home to a flat or somewhere with no garden, or maybe going into rented where pets are not permitted. It may involve moving in order to keep a job or find new work, often overseas, or a redundancy that means that the cost of keeping animals properly is no longer possible. It may be relationship breakdown where there is only one wage earner, or maybe starting a family, where you will have no time for animals any more and simply not the cash.

Whilst often unavoidable and unforseen, there are some things folks really should consider before contemplating having some rabbits, and also before they consider adding a partner rabbit to their existing - because whilst every rabbit should definitely always have a friend, if circumstances change where a single house rabbit might just be feasible in your life, a pair of bunnies may just make it impossible to keep them.

So before you take on new rabbits or rabbit, please consider the following.

ARE RABBITS FOR YOU?

There are many things to think about when considering giving a home to some rabbits.

• Can you commit to on average 8-12 years of rabbit care?

Rabbits’ life expectancy should be in the region of 8-12 years so need the same level of commitment as a dog or cat

• Can you provide the sort of accommodation that bunnies need either indoors or outdoors?

Rabbits need a big hutch (absolute minimum of 6ft +) and run, or a large safe area indoors

• Can you provide a suitable home for a pair of bunnies?

Rabbits should not be kept singly; they naturally live in colonies and need the company of other rabbits?

• Can you afford the start up costs?

Accommodation, equipment and importantly vet care. (Vaccinations - Combined Myxomatosis and VHD annually. Neutering for both sexes) and the ongoing veterinary bills?

• Are your circumstances likely to change in the near future?

(Redundancy, moving, divorce, baby) If so make sure you have contingency plans both financial and for ongoing care if things should change so the rabbits don’t suffer.

• Is anyone in your family allergic to rabbits or hay?

It is a common for owners who discover they are allergic to give rabbits up and so spending time with some prior to purchase or adoption is absolutely essential

• Are you willing to put in the time to learn lots about rabbits, which are very complex animals?

Rabbits are not easy pets and can become unwell or unhappy if not cared for correctly. There are many myths about rabbit care so homework in advance will help keep the rabbits happy and healthy

• If the rabbits are to be pets for the children, are you happy to be the responsible adult carer, particularly if the children loose interest?

Very high numbers of rabbits are given in to rescues within the first year of ownership due to the children getting bored and the parents not wishing to continue the care

• Can you spend quality time every day with your rabbits?

Rabbits do need social interaction from their carers. It’s a very important part of their behavioural development and an excellent way to monitor health

• Have you thought about the need for rabbit boarding when you go away for weekends or for your summer holidays (or if you travel frequently with work)?

Rabbits need to be cared for properly when you need to go away from home and someone popping in just to feed them is not normally sufficient. Boarding facilities are recommended but can add expense to your holiday budget

• Do your family members understand that rabbits generally do not like to be picked up and cuddled and are happiest with all four feet firmly on the floor?

Youngsters may become upset if they cannot pick up their rabbits, and can also lead to aggression (defensive behaviour) from the rabbits resulting in injury to the rabbit or carer.

CAN YOU COMMIT TO RABBITS FOR THE NEXT 8 -12 YEARS, FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIVES?

:wave:Excellent thread!!! I have no doubt that many people never consider the responsibility thoroughly enough. They never look beyond the bars and those beautiful little faces behind them, into the future and what lies ahead.

Me and Johnny looked at something like this before we got a bunny and it took us a good few days to come to a conclusion. The amount of people that just stick a rabbit in a hutch and that's it. My mum said she seen a thing in the newspaper over easter about the real costs of rabbits and said reading it changed her mind about the whole stick them in a hutch thing.

Very good, although I think it is hard for anyone to predict what might happen 8-10 years down the line. Someone could be in a very stable job then gets made redundant, or has an accident, or worse...

If people worried so much about what might happen in the future, nobody would have pets ever because the future is too unpredictable.

I agree!

I didn't see the whole court stuff heading our way and our outhouse falling to pieces. I had the money for new accomodation and then court popped up. That left us having to give up 4 of our beautiful bunnies.

We have now decided that we will never have any more than 2 pairs of buns in the future, just in case. Having 7 bunnies during court proceedings would never have worked.

I think something needs to be put on about numbers too! We want to save them all and sometimes, it gets too much. It did for us. I wish court hadn't popped up now and had done so in a year, where everybun would have been sorted and settled... Insurance could have paid for illnesses.

This is a great post and very true but i also agree that it's impossible to predict the future. Also depends on how you came by the rabbit in the first place. i would never have gone out and got a rabbit, as I have a 12 year old dog who is my responsibility re vet bills etc. However, I rescued Ozzie from neglect & a small prison :evil: with the idea of taking him to a rescue. They were full, then a friend came forward with an indoor cage... which soon became a 6ft base & free range of downstairs. Then i found RU and started frantically finding out the best way to care for him, in doing this I rediscovered my childhood passion for these lovely animals. Now my circumstances were not ideal at all when I first took him as i'd had no advance warning of our new family member, but they were 1000% better than what he'd been used to. I felt bad that I couldn't think about a companion for him yet but I did read up on rabbit behaviour & body language & communicated with him his way. He displayed loads of natural behaviours that were taken notice of and became very confident, secure & content in this environment. He presented himself for grooming & he got it! I respected his territory & greeted him with nose rubs if I had to go in it etc He also was seldom on his own. I took my responsibility to him very seriously. I am gutted that I only had 6 months with him, i wanted him to live for 20 years! :(. However because he affected my life in such a big way, I do intend to support rabbit welfare & our local rescue in whatever way I can. If I had thought too much about it & decided my circumstances were not right at the time, he could have easily still been in a rescue for those 6 months if they hadn't been full. I'm glad he lived with us.

what a fantastic piece...:p.. it should be given to everyone before they rehome a bun or 2..
we always do our homework when taking someone on, we talked about getting buns and how things will change ie holidays ,for weeks before we got 2.
we have a pup on the way to our home:love: but we have researched EVERYTHING before we put our names down..breed ,age,expense etc
people just see pets as disposable im afraid:cry:

:thumb: Excellent post.:thumb:
I'd say that those are considerations before accepting ANY animal into our family.

Yes, rabbits are particularly challenging in so many ways, & yet that is what makes them the most stimulating companions I've shared my life with. I agree that they're not for everyone though.

Brilliant post! :thumb:

I never realised what owning rabbits meant untill I really got into researching them and found RU...Im glad I did such indepth research!! I adore our buns and they are a brilliant part of our family...when I see people giving up pets becuase of having children part of me understands becuase having a baby can be such an overwhelming time etc but they really do make great additions to the family...my children all loves the buns and millie pup!! :love:

Back