• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yet more RABBITS!!!! and a question suprisingly from the OH...... Please help?

Katie1504

Young Bun
OK, So last week I announced to my OH I have found 2 more rabbits to rescue. They are from a litter of 4 that has been dumped so they will only be little when I get them. He said ok and thought I was having him on..... The next day he came home to 2 more hutches built up. There is only 1 girl in the litter so I am getting 2 (and then getting them done so I will have a free hutch for more rabbits....he hasnt worked this out yet!!). He asked this morning am I still getting these 2 new rabbits. I said yes why? (He isnt often at home when I feed them all but when he is he helps out. He works for his dad so workes long hours) He then went out and carried on helping me feed the 7 piggies and 3 rabbits. He was ages. He eventualy came back in and said.... "I am really glad your getting more rabbits" Me- "Why?" (He had previously told me it was a bad idea.... extra work... we are converting a barn and getting married in 3 months) He went on to say- "Because how can you resist them when they are right up to the bars and jumping up at you and wanting a fuss when you go out to feed them." to me that is just the norm but I was very suprised at hime saying it!!!!

He then raised a question-

We have 3 rabbits.... 2 together (not yet done about 3 months) and one who is on his own but done and about 1 year old. He hates having any other rabbit in his living space he likes me to go out and fuss him etc. But my OH wanted to know if we could let them out to play together? I hadnt thought about it and told him I didnt know but I knew some people that would. Please could someone help!?

No, you can't let unbonded rabbits play together. If you want them to be together you need to bond them properly using a neutral area. If they are not bonded they will fight with any other rabbit they see on their territory.

Oh yes I would bond them first and see how that went... I wouldnt just put them in together and let them go. I should have made that point a little better. It was more because the pair havent yet been castrated. I didnt want to put them together if that was a problem. I know bonding is a difficult and long process so I would research it first as well.

I had a feeling that would be the case. I will tell him later. I am just pleased he took an intrest in my bunny rabbits....

That's great :D

After years of suggesting it my OH took it upon himself to make a hutch and run this week! Couldnt believe how much the materials were though...no wonder the shops charge so much!

We have 9 house rabbits. Six of them live in pairs and three live as singles but all spend supervised time together although we would never 'mix' some of the buns because without a doubt we have some who in the wrong mix will pick a fight.

It is rare that all are in one place at the same time but we often put them in two groups together even the singles as they are fine when on 'neutral' ground.

I would suggest leaving it until all the buns are speyed / neutered and then go through a bonding process with them.

I love seeing our single buns have some bunny time with some of the pairs etc. The thing is we have found that we cannot get our three singles sorted enough to stay 24/7 with another single or a pair without all hell breaking loose!

Bear and Willow were bonded but that broke after a fight and a very near fatal wound to an ear (just missed the main vein).

Bear doesn't really like other buns at all - he prefers humans. Willow is frightened of everything and when we have tried bonding him no matter how slowly and carefully we go, he stops eating!

Thumper also prefers humans and is too bouncy and flighty to settle down with any other bun at present although he does spend quite a lot of time with our two girls Tatty and Tally. We haven't given up though yet that one day he may have a permanent partner or trio! Right now he's happy withe the arrangement!! :lol::lol:

Yes you can.

I have 6 rabbits living together, 2 females and 4 males. All neutered and spayed though. It is more successful if their is a female to dominate them as in the wild it is a matriarchal society. (I.e females rule!)

I do have two separate males who are younger and still feisty so I'm waiting for their hormones to calm down and will try and bond them.

The outdoor space will be neutral territory and if you do it supervised you should be ok. But I'd wait and get them done first.

Good luck.

Back