• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When to spey a doe

xlaurax

Mama Doe
I've finally decided to get my babies speyed. I'm worried about the cancer.... also I want to make sure as much as I can that they don't fight. They're best buddies and I don't want them to lose that.

Bluebell was born on 28 November 2011 and Bramble on 23 January 2012. When can they be speyed, in your opinion?

I've had lots of different advice, some say 4 months some say 6, 8 even 12....

I obviously don't want to do it too early but I've also heard the older they get the more risks are involved! Confused.com :?

Any advice / suggestions very much welcome :wave:

It's generally said 4 - 6 months. I would usually wait until 6 months just so they are a bit bigger, so you will be fine to get your older doe done in a month or so, and your younger one in a couple of months. Getting it done seperately will spread the cost a bit too, alwasy helpful!

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'll book them in at 6 months then... I could do with spreading the cost at £99 a throw!

As long as they're healthy and happy though it's all worth it :D

I hope they'll be OK for the few months in between their speys. They should still get on shouldn't they....

Thanks guys, I'll book them in at 6 months then... I could do with spreading the cost at £99 a throw!

As long as they're healthy and happy though it's all worth it :D

I hope they'll be OK for the few months in between their speys. They should still get on shouldn't they....

Changing hormones may mean a few scraps but they should be alright. When you get them done take them both in, having the other one with them will comfort the one operated on, and should help to keep their bond strong.

Back