• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baytril VS. Septrin

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Not sure where to put this so feel free to move it :oops:

Basically what are the main differences between Baytril and Septrin? Are they good for different things?

As my local vet is now saying Boris can't have snuffles because Septrin doesn't usually have any effect on that disease........:? I'm sure I've read differently.

Mischa and Nutmeg have both had Septrin for snuffles which helped. Baytril and Septrin are both antibiotics.

Yeah...Boris had both but Baytril had no effect whatsoever, Septrin however worked wonders. I guess my vet is wrong once again...:roll:

If this http://journals.tubitak.gov.tr/veterinary/issues/vet-10-34-1/vet-34-1-13-0901-1.pdf is to be believed then Septrin (sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim) is slightly more effective against pasteurella than baytril (enrofloxacin) but this wouldn't account for any bioavailability issues as it was a direct test in the lab using Pasteurella multocida isolated from cattle. I also think I can recall others posting that Septrin was indeed better for snuffles though so this might back that up. Both should work though from a pharmacological perspective. I guess as always it's a case of if one doesn't work try the other.

My Lils always had baytril.We tried Septrin but no response.I guess different bugs react to different things.

I think septrin is meant to be better. I read somewhere that most pasteurella strains are resistant to baytril. It turned out in Buckley's case that it was only sensitive to baytril and penicillin. But the first antibiotic we were prescribed before the C&S was septrin.
x

From what i was told one is not necessarily any better than the other they just work on a different range of bacteria so as Chris says if one doesn't work then try the other.

I know that Baytril is not good at penetrating pus. But we have found that a really high dose of baytril works really well on respiratory problems when there is no thick discharge

Thanks for the replies everyone, you are so helpful :wave:

I'm wondering if maybe the tablet form is less effective as well than the regular liquid stuff? Boris was given tiny little Baytril tablets that were quite easy to administer but had very little effect (if any). So maybe if the Septrin isn't as effective this time around it'd be worth trying a different form of Baytril?

Also, can you combine the two? I seem to recall being told that people had done that.

It depends on the bacteria causing it. we have a snuffles bun on Septrin right now as she was cultured and the culture shows she has something which responds to Septrin.

Back