• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Impressed with Pets at Home

I know these stores aren't perfect and I wish t hey'd stop selling animals but I have to say they are improving. :) I was very impressed with the shop I went in last week as they had this sign up!! :D

2012-04-02184418.jpg

If you're struggling to read it, it says:

Rabbits like to live in pairs

We strongly recommend that rabbits are neutered, vaccinated and homed in the largest rabbit home possible

Rabbits need lots of fibre so feed hay, nuggets and small amounts of fresh vegetables as a treat

Provide a run and lots of toys to keep them happy and healthy

There were also various other posters advertising free rabbit health checks at local vets and one sign saying 10% off neutering at a local vets if you got your bunnies from there. Very pleased! Also, all the hutches that they had in had a sign saying what they were suitable for and all the 4 foot hutches said only suitable for 2 guinea pigs. :) The 5ft double said up to 3 guinea pigs or one small breed rabbit. There were signs up saying you need a run too though. :)

ETA: Many stores are getting in 6ft hutches with runs now and you can get them online, I am very impressed with them, this can only be a good thing. :thumb:

Last edited:
That's very good. If enough stores start selling proper sized hutches +run combos then people will see that as normal rabbit housing instead of thinking that a single 4ft hutch is enough.

I particularly hate when I hear people say that rabbits should never be kept together because they fight :(

Saw a 6ft hutch in P@H, very impressed. Very flimsy but atleast they're making bigger hutches to sway the public in the right direction!

The one near me has had those sogns up since it opened (about 3 years ago) and has always been helpful and eveytime im in the animal are all looked after well!
Thats why i dont get why people slate them (so much)

The pet shop I got Maia in gave me a detailed care sheet and suggested the correct diet. Some shops are better than other.
Maia is still feisty good and proper though. :lol:

I will be more impressed with them when they stop selling animals

:wave:Unfortunately, this is probably a long way off because people 'still do' actually want to buy bunnies and therefore the shop is meeting that market. However, this is a step in the right direction and if the price does cause some people to stop and think whether they would actually pay that much, then that could be a good thing. It's about educating people to realise that bunnies need the same care and attention as all pets. They have been sold far too cheaply for too long. Any move in the right direction should be considered positive. Getting the public to understand that they need vaccinating,neutering,chipping is great IMO.

Please don't throw the book at me anyone, I have no wish to cause any argument over this.;) It's just my personal opinion.

So the backyard breeders and worse pet shops can fill the gap in the market? Because that would be the consequence.

Where do the pets at home bunnies come from?

:wave:Unfortunately, this is probably a long way off because people 'still do' actually want to buy bunnies and therefore the shop is meeting that market. However, this is a step in the right direction and if the price does cause some people to stop and think whether they would actually pay that much, then that could be a good thing. It's about educating people to realise that bunnies need the same care and attention as all pets. They have been sold far too cheaply for too long. Any move in the right direction should be considered positive. Getting the public to understand that they need vaccinating,neutering,chipping is great IMO.

Please don't throw the book at me anyone, I have no wish to cause any argument over this.;)

I agree but one day I hope people will think selling animals from shops is not acceptable

Last edited:
I will be more impressed with them when they stop selling animals

Our pets@home is the only pet shop around here to keep the bunnies in a clean condition, with reasonable space etc. I went around all the pet shops when I was buying things for Poppy's shed and was disgusted by most of them:? P@H is far from perfect but near to me its definately best of a bad lot. Even the local rescue didn't spey, bond or vaccinate:cry:

I must say it is a step in the right direction :) Good basic advice (Hay, pairing, size of hutches, neutering, vacs) and with a vet health check they can also help give advice about common bunny health problems like teeth and etc plus proper care.

Also the adoption center has a £20 off neutering with the Companion Care vets if you adopt a un-neutered rabbit. Which is where I will be taking Pebbles next week :D I found that very encouraging for the whole neuter and spay message to get through to people

Where do the pets at home bunnies come from?

They come from large breeders, not bybs. The one that supplies the area around here also breeds for showing and is starting to breed dogs too.

They may come from similar backgrounds but at least when people go to p@h they will be getting better advice so the rabbits will have a happier life :)

Back