• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Methods of castration

sgprescue

Mama Doe
Does anyones vets still tie the tubes on rabbits? I only ask because we have a new vet surgery opened up not far from where I work and my boss wanted to test them out so she took her male rabbit there to be castrated. The trouble is that when she went to pick him up she found they had not removed the testicles and just made a tiny incision to tie the tubes instead. Unfortunatly for the bunny, shortly after surgery one of his testicles swelled up and he has been back and forth from the vets ever since. Do many vets seriously still use this method? Because I was under the impression it went out with the ark :?. I would not even consider it a proper method of castration as surely there is a chance of it failing? :evil:
Needless to say she will not be getting any more bunnies neutered (or going there atall) at this particular surgery

The vet I use only does it that way and uses Glue and not stitching as rabbits kept removing stitches, I don't have any problems with the castration failing and the rabbits seem to recover better

I found I had to take rabbits back if they are done the other way and are muchh more of a nuisance

We remove the testicles completely... never heard of it being done the other way :? Not that I have been in the vet world for a long time but I only know of complete castration. Surely that is vasectomising? Or have I got it wrong? If the testicles are still there surely they will still produce testosterone?

I agree with MichG. Surely just tying the tubes is a vasectomy (turned down the chance of watching it performed on my OH :shock:) and will have no effect whatsoever on male bunny hormones. As a strong reason for castrating bunnies is to modify the behaviour caused by these hormones I cannot understand why this technique is used. I can only assume that it is considered a cheaper, easier quick fix.

Elaine, I am not sure that I understand how it is possible to describe a rabbit as neutered if your vet has carried out this procedure.

Because thye are neutered and within 2-3 wks the Testicales have shrivalled up, I have never had a problem with the rabbits that are done this way and the vet has been a main vet for over 30 yrs so he does know what he is doing

Back