• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone else find it impossible to get over losing them? :(

Ozbun

Warren Scout
Ive been crying for 2 days. I had such a bond with Ozzie & cant get over the fact that I had him for just about 6 months. Last night I had to sing in a show in front of 400 people. I was crying before & after but managed to do it. We buried Ozzie in a beautiful orchard on a hillside, on my friends' land, next to their own pets' graves. I just feel so sad that he had to go so young. Also i don't know what killed him but it was horrific to see and to not be able to get help at the end. He had supposedly had 24 hour pain relief yet he was suffering. Someone on here said it's handy to be able to blame the vet, well i don't "blame" them but I think I was given bad advice, spoken to abruptly when I was distraught & not believed when i told them he was ni real trouble. He was eating before he went to the vets, but not eating hay. He went downhill rapidly after coming back. Maybe all the treatment in the world couldnt have saved him, maybe he had an underlying condition, I dont know. I'm sure he should have had fluids & been kept in. I know we always torture ourselves when a person or animal dies, it's hard not to. I did everything I could & stayed up nights but I still feel i failed him. My little friend died in my partners arms, he knew he was loved & he looked directly at me as he went. I'm so upset. Did anyone else feel like this? :cry::cry:

I'm so sorry you lost Ozzie :cry:. I didn't see your thread when you were asking for help, as I have had a very ill bun here. From what I have read, you done everything you could. Who knows if Ozzie would have continued to deteriorate had he been kept in. Although awful for you to witness, Ozzie died with the people he knew and loved.

I know how awful it is to have a really ill animal and not be listened to, or spoken to in a harsh way. Perhaps you could write to the vet in question, detailing your feelings and concerns?

The pain does eventually dim, and you can remember the good times you had together more than the final hours. Although it sometimes stays painful, it isn't such a raw pain, if you see what I mean. Allow yourself to grieve just now, it is all part of the healing process for you.

I do hope that you feel better soon. Ozzie was so lucky to have found you, and to have been loved so much.

I think about my dead bunnies most days and the way they died - both preventable. I blame myself, others, the vet, the rabbits. I know I'll never get over their deaths.

Sorry to have been no moral help.

But no, you're not on your own.

Thanks, I keep trying to remind myself of the good times. The living room seems very empty without him. I don't think i could bear to speak to that vet's again. Our local rescue said the practise has been taken over by an uncaring corporate monster & others have had similar experiences. I do intend to steer people clear of them. The receptionist was far more help than the vet. I keep trying to get a grip, but like you say it is very raw. There is something very special about rabbits. :cry:

I think about my dead bunnies most days and the way they died - both preventable. I blame myself, others, the vet, the rabbits. I know I'll never get over their deaths.

Sorry to have been no moral help.

But no, you're not on your own.
I wonder why we do this to ourselves really. i think if a rabbit was in the wild, its colony wouldn't be able to ring a vet or do anything, nobody would expect it. I suppose this is just part of the grieving process but it does hurt. We do beat ourselves up. We should remember that by being on here & caring about their welfare, we are the good guys xx

I lost my baby girl a month ago tomorrow. I had a bit of a break down at the time, multiple panic attacks, didn't drink for 24 hours, didn't eat for 72. She was my whole world, literally my baby. She was only young, and we lost her so suddenly, which is why I took it so hard. Although I will never, ever get over loosing her, I am much less sad than I was. I still have weepy days, where anything will set me off and I will just be a mess. I will read something sad, or see her picture and thats it, thats me crying for an hour. The best thing that has helped me is to get my boys. I got them 3 weeks after she passed, and athough nobody could ever, ever replace her, they help keep my morale up, and are there for sobbing bunny cuddles when I need them. Hugs to you.

 Hi it is a sad time when we lose a bunny sadly I have lost 2 in the past 8 weeks everything possible was done by my vet and myself but in the end the bunnys just gave up and we couldn't do anymore  I still cry now cos I love all my bunnys an do my very best for them all to make sure they have the best life possible while I have them so losing them is really hard it's liking losing a family member every time I come on here I end up crying with members like yourself because it's so sad and most members on here will no what you are going through and now inside how you feel try and remember all the happy times and it does get a bit easier but it's still heartbreaking 

Hugs

We miss em so much because we love em like our family because they are our family. to miss em that much means they were loved and cared for which makes u a very special person. if you need to cry then do one day u Will be able to remember the good times. take care

I lost my baby girl a month ago tomorrow. I had a bit of a break down at the time, multiple panic attacks, didn't drink for 24 hours, didn't eat for 72. She was my whole world, literally my baby. She was only young, and we lost her so suddenly, which is why I took it so hard. Although I will never, ever get over loosing her, I am much less sad than I was. I still have weepy days, where anything will set me off and I will just be a mess. I will read something sad, or see her picture and thats it, thats me crying for an hour. The best thing that has helped me is to get my boys. I got them 3 weeks after she passed, and athough nobody could ever, ever replace her, they help keep my morale up, and are there for sobbing bunny cuddles when I need them. Hugs to you.
I'm like that really, I didn't eat all day tues, had a baked spud yesterday. I think Dylan the dog misses him too, they did have chats while I was out! He's been subdued so I think I'll take him somewhere nice today! I do live on my own so the animals are family rather than "pets" and I do think it's hard. Good job I have no work in this week, I'd be a mess. i just had lots of plans to keep improving ozzies life, play area outside, rabbit room, wifey-bun etc & I didn't get the chance. I thought i'd have years with him.:(

 Hi it is a sad time when we lose a bunny sadly I have lost 2 in the past 8 weeks everything possible was done by my vet and myself but in the end the bunnys just gave up and we couldn't do anymore  I still cry now cos I love all my bunnys an do my very best for them all to make sure they have the best life possible while I have them so losing them is really hard it's liking losing a family member every time I come on here I end up crying with members like yourself because it's so sad and most members on here will no what you are going through and now inside how you feel try and remember all the happy times and it does get a bit easier but it's still heartbreaking 

Hugs

Thanks, that must have been awful for you losing them both. Im trying to put my feelings into something positive. I'm not sure i could have another bunny but i could certainly help the local rescue in some way & carry on educating people on rabbit welfare.

Yes I felt the loss very intensely when I lost Fay, it was awful and the pain hurt like hell. But over time the intensity of feelings and the overwhelming grief does ease. Its very early days for you so allow yourself the time you need to grieve for Ozzie. Over time you do start to think more and more of the happy memories and the precious time you spent together x

PS If you feel you need some support the Blue Cross run a pet bereavement service, I very nearly used them when I felt I wasnt coping.

My special boy Herbie passed away 3 months ago and I still have days when I cry (just typing this has started me off again). Herbie left me with a broken heart which I don't think will ever properly heal.

It is very early days for you and you have to allow yourself time to grieve. It does get better and you'll find that you will cry less, but it takes time. I think RU is a good place to be when you are grieving for a bunny as you know that everyone understands just what you are going through and how much it hurts.

Thinking of you. xx

I lost one of my bunnies in November last year called 'Pud' and I am having a real problem getting over it and moving on. He had such a wonderful character and he was just so funny and we spent a lot of time together and I miss him so very much indeed and often have a cry over him, it's really hard.

Sending you hugs xxxxxxxxx

Thanks for the hugs, it helps. I know some people would think it's self-indulgent to feel so bad over an animal- but then i don't understand those people. I've lost a lot of people that were close to me over the years and i must say that this does compare to that. If i think logically, I've gone without stuff to make Ozzie's life better & spent loads of time on accommodation, diet, studying health & behaviour to get to know about rabbits, like all of you on the forum. Yet I still feel like I did something wrong. Plus he cant have been more than about 18 months maybe. What upsets me is that when i found him in the awful hutch in next door's garden, he hid the first time & I thought the hutch was empty. I tried again & this time opened the sleeping compartment. He looked terrified, i could have been any predator about to eat him... but came up to me & took the risk of trusting me. We looked at each other & that was it! :love: I promised him I'd get him out of there and I did. Then just a few months later, after becoming so confident & dignified, being a free bunny, to see that same little face leave this world just breaks my heart. :cry: I have to not focus on that& I know it will get easier. I should be thinking of what I did right for him & how happy he was. Stupid hutch is still there, I can see it out of my kitchen window. That's why I chose to bury him in the orchard on the hill & not in my garden. I didn't want him anywhere near that thing.

I lost my bun Tilly nearly 2 and a half years ago, and still question why. Was it my fault, the vets fault, or unavoidable??
I cried for days, didnt eat and was just totally distraught like you are. It takes a long time for those feelings to leave you, but it does get easier.
There will come a time you can think of Oz with a smile instead of tears. You did everything possible for him and you will come to accept that. You have to.
Be kind to yourself, eat when you can and allow yourself to grieve.
Unfortunately there are lots of us on here who can empathise :cry: (((HUGS)))

I lost one of my bunnies in November last year called 'Pud' and I am having a real problem getting over it and moving on. He had such a wonderful character and he was just so funny and we spent a lot of time together and I miss him so very much indeed and often have a cry over him, it's really hard.

Sending you hugs xxxxxxxxx
Awww, look at Pud, he looks gorgeous :love: Ozzie was cheeky & funny too. I think when they have such strong personalities, it's hard to believe they can be so fragile & such a shock when they go. hugs to you too xxx

I dont 'get over' the loss, I just develop ways of living with it as, with other Rabbits here who need me, I have no option but to carry on

Some days, like today for example, that proves to be a monumental uphill battle :cry:

Lola was and still is my soul bunny. No bunny will ever replace her, she wasn't just a bunny she was my best friend and my daughter. I loved more than ever loved any being. I cry most nights thinking of her, I still wished I could have saved her. To me she was invincible and then she just left and my life and Jays has never been the same again, we haven't had or will have the happiness she brought us, we're happy but not in the same way.

I'll never ever forget Lola and she will always be a big part of my life no matter what.

Back