• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

When should I have Lopi spayed?

deb_h

Warren Scout
Just wondering when you guys think I should book Lopi to be spayed?

I got her and her boyfriend 'rarebit' almost a week ago. Rarebit has been neutered around a year ago but lopi keeps trying to hump him and is also spraying a lot now :roll:

They are currently living in the hutch that they have always lived in (two story and 5ft) but their shed will be done this week, I really want to get them in as it is going to have a permanent run and its a lot bigger than what they are currently in but not sure if I should hold off until she has been spayed?

What do you folks think?

Also is their anything I need to know before I book her in, also aftercare would you recommend?

Thanks
Deb :D x

Hey there

She can be spayed once she's 6 months old. The hormonal behaviour such as spraying urine and humping will most likely stop.

Once you drop her at the vets I'd also take hay too along with herbs mixed in it to encourage food after the massive operation.

Once she's home she'll need to be kept inside so her tempreture wont drop than it already has.

Ps Take both bonded bunnies there, she'll appreciate the extra support and company.

You'll need to adminsitrate her because she could start nibbling her stitches etc. Or her husbun could.

Does can be spayed from as young as 4 months. If her health is good and she is old enough I see no reason to hold off, as the humping may cause fights and they may split. Even if they dont, its probably stressing the poor boy out.

She needs to be kept in a small-ish area for a few days after her spay anyway, but I believe ramps are a no-no.

Why not pop her along to the vets for a checkup and discuss it with them, see what they think :) Asking lots of questions will also help determine whetehr your vet is rabbit savvy or not.

Last edited:
Thank you. She is about 11 months old I think. I adopted them both from a friend who had to rehome them due to allergies in the family so I'm not 100% on their age.

How long should I keep her in the house for after her op and they be ok in a cage together? Or would it be best to keep them in separate cages? (if I can get hold of another).

Also would you please advise me how best to administrate her?

Thank you for your help, it is greatly appreciated?

Ps. Should ring tomorrow and see when I can get her in, also is the duel vaccine out yet? She has not had any vaccines yet and I really want to get them done asap.

Thanks nessar, I will do that as i need to have her vaccinated asap. I am just soooo scared of stressing her out as she had the big move from my friends to mine on saturday so not too sure how long i should wait. She is a bit of a nervous bun.

Do you think I can go ahead and moving them both into there bigger home tomorrow? :D

Some vets have the dual vaccine, some havent got it in yet.

If she is not vaccinated I'd get that done first personally. Gives you a good chance to scout out the vet and see if they are good enough with rabbits (which are classed as exotics) for you to trust them to spay her.

I'm not sure about timing of keeping her inside, different people say different things, and my rabbits are house buns so I've never had that issue!

what do you mean by administrate her?

ps. I had to laugh. She would try to hump him and then he would sort of hump her. At one point they were going round and around in a circle.LOL. xx

I feel the same about the jabs being priority but i figured I could have them done at the same time save on stress for her. Think i will do as you say though. I can vet the vet.lol.

And whitehood said i should administrate her after her op?

Oh, I'm not sure what he means to be honest!

No, you wont want both done at the same time as vaccines can have side effects and also stress the immune system, having vaccines and an invasive op done on the same day would be too much.

If you want to reduce stress putting them in the shed, have you thought about moving the hutch into the shed? Then you can open the doors and they can explore in their own time whilst feeling they can go back to their home if needed. Dont clean the hutch out to do this, their scent will be familiar and reassuring to them. The hutch will also make a nice snuggly spot in the shed and add an extra level.

If they are doing that watch them carefully for signs of fighting, she is expressing dominance and he is obviously not accepting it.... It can escalate quickly.

Are these your first rabbits, or first in a while? If you have any questions dont hesitate to ask, even if it sounds silly in your head, as rabbit care has moved on so much in the last few years, and pet shops/breeders/occasionally even vets sometimes give out bad advice.

Doesn't administrate mean monitor/supervise :oops:

I mean supervise :p

Because she might bite or nibble her stitches and undo them

Back