• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

C&S test.......

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
On a rabbit that has no discharge from the nose or eyes....

Is that even doable? Would they test the blood instead then, perhaps? *confused*

Spoke to a rabbit savvy vet today about Boris and this was something she suggested in order to get a definite diagnosis, but stupidly enough I forgot to ask as she was very busy, I didn't wanna take up too much of her time :oops:

His main symptoms are coughing and increased breathing rate. He does sneeze occasionally and his eyes look a bit sore, but there's no discharge whatsoever.

it's taken from the very back of the nose so there may well be something there. i think it would be worth doing. and they can have a really good look at the back of the nose and the throat at the same time. even with alot of discharge though, sometimes it won't produce any results. this happened to matt the first two times but luckily on the third c+s we got a result.

bisc has 'snuffles' without any discharge. he didn't have a c+s as the vet thought matt would be a better choice because of the amount of discharge.. so it could have no results but if it was me i would get it just to try everything. bisc had no discharge and he responded well to the first lot of antibiotics we tried and was stable for a while and responded well to treatment after a flare up.

Thank you so much for your input :wave:

My local vet said it could be a good idea but also added that she wouldn't be able to do it :roll: Doesn't know how to. But it'd be good if we could find out exactly what we're fighting against. Might discuss it with a different vet, I've found one that's apparently good with rabbits and has a practice about 50 minutes away :)

Back