• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Even Hailstones can cause injuries to rabbits (A warning)

Fifibutton

Wise Old Thumper
As I found out earlier today :(

Being April we have experienced sudden changes in the weather. Yesterday for example I woke to a winter wonderland but by lunchtime the snow was all gone :shock:

This morning it was blue skies and sunshine so I had Orla and Donny out to free range on the patio. I went into the garage to put the pegs away and came out to a tremendous downpour or hailstones. Both bunnies panicked and bumped into things as they ran about at top speed. But I managed to catch them and dry them off a calm them down. Donny recovered very quickly but unfortunately I found Orla's back foot was covered in blood :( She had somehow managed to rip a toe nail off. I think during her panic she must have caught herself on something. We took her to the vet and he patched her up although he declined to put a bandage on at this stage as we both know she will eat it. So she is limping about tenderly just now. Poor wee soul, not so long ago she had a limp in the front paw. We have painkillers for her and have been applying some manuka honey to the wound which I think has been helping. We need to keep a close eye on her in case of an infection too. She alternates between playing, jumping on her chair :roll: and snoozing on her heat pad so she is doing ok but I feel so guilty and bad for her as this is yet another injury :(

So now you know to never ever let your rabbits out in hail (if you can help it). Its not something I would ever do (or have done) intentionally but I just didn't expect the weather to turn today. At the very least the noise and pain can instil panic, fear and stress but as we know it can also lead to injury.

Keep an eye on the weather when your buns are out and about.

ETA we have a hidey boxes and a playhouse for them to use as shelter in light drizzle but they were panicking far too much to stay in one place so that will not always necessarily be good enough.

Awww, I bet they were really disoriented with it all. It's very odd weather at the moment and can turn in a second. I'm sure she'll be fine very soon.
xxx

Back