• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Neighbours' rabbits

bridget

Alpha Buck
I posted a thread a couple of months back under another user name moaning about my neighbours' rabbits and the fact they had left them when it was really cold and they had no food, the water was a lump of ice, conditions disgusting. I went round and told them I had cleaned, fed, watered them etc and although they listened to me, I got the impression they weren't very happy TBH...

Anyway, the other day my bf was saying he could hear the rabbits thumping in their cage and the neighbours had gone out so he went through the gate and had a look at them. This time they have been separated into two hutches (we gave them a larger hutch for both of them) and again no food/hay :evil:

My bf had it out with him and it all got into a bit of a heated argument. Basically he said the rabbits are his little boys (he's about 5). Well yes, he might be able to feed them but cleaning them out etc - of course it's not going to get done. My bf asked him if he liked his rabbits and he snapped that they were an inconvenience and only got them for his lad and that we would never get them. BF offered to buy them from him but he said he wasn't speaking to us again.

Now I don't now what to do.. whilst he kept saying "report me, report me then" should I? I just keep thinking about those poor bunnies locked in those hutches all day every day without being let out. I know the RSPCA won't want to know as long as they have shelter, food (sometimes) and water.. what would you do? :cry:

I think you're right that the RSPCA won't want to know. I'm not actually sure what I'd do in this situation. The neighbour clearly is now adamant that you are not going to have the rabbits. Perhaps it's best to completely change tack and go all 'girly'. Would you be able to bring yourself to have a word with the neighbour, perhaps getting all tearful and emotional (if you can) saying that you only keep asking him about them because you love rabbits so much and would so love to look after his for him. If he absolutely won't let you have them, do you think you could persuade him to let you help look after them? Maybe if it was only once a week doing a thorough clean out and providing fresh hay and water? You've not really got much to lose to be honest. Just depends on whether you can bring yourself to do it or not. It won't be easy, that's for sure.

he is clearly not bothered about their welfare at all. I would try and pluck up the courage to go round, or perhaps a carefully worded note might do it? something along the lines of what Mackers said, that you love rabbits and just want to look after them, its terrible to see them without hay or food or any attention. Maybe he doesnt realise how much attention rabbits actually need. Most people dont seem to realise how intelligent they are, my OH was one until I got bunnies and now he is a complete convert and actually does alot of the bunny care around here whilst im at work (he works from home) he regularly has bunny conversations :)

...also if you write down what you want to say/what points you want to get across it might be easier to go round, or to write a note. Personally I would take the note option, as Im terrible with confrontation, but obviously you will need to write very carefully so it doesnt sound aggressive, condesending etc!!
xx

Last edited:
You could try approaching RWAF, they have some sample letters on their website to send to owners where someone has reported a concern. Poor bunnies :(

How about asking him if you can show the little boy how to properly care for them?
I know it shouldn't be the little lads job, but I got my first rabbit at that age, and I was always made to take care of him myself. Here I am 30 odd years later still doing it:lol::lol:
If the little one is shown the pleasures of bunny keeping and sees them as friends he may end up one of the few who truly delights in his furry friends:love:

How can a 5 year old care for rabbits?! Just report him. They need better care then a 5 year old can provide, and he said himself they are an inconvenience

How can a 5 year old care for rabbits?! Just report him. They need better care then a 5 year old can provide, and he said himself they are an inconvenience

With the help of a caring mentor?! IE Bridget. If there is nothing else the 'owner' is willing to do, and the RSPCA will do nothing then this would at least help the 5 year old learn a better attitude to rabbits than he's gonna learn otherwise.

Back