• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

need some cecotropes knowledge

Fofinha

New Kit
Hi,

As far I research bout this, that we don't normally see rabbits eating those, right?
Are they normally eating it secretly or just certain time?

My boy is a young bunny, quite a fearless one too (running on slippery floor) and doesn't like to be picked up.
He seem really like to eat his cecotropes in front of us or next to us like on a sofa, then left some pellets/dropping around the sofa too, which I don't know whether this pellet is actually left over cecotropes or just normal pellet.

I still pretty new with rabbit so still can't really tell the difference yet between those.

is this normal behavior for rabbit?

thanks

Yeah, I think it means he trusts you. :) My buns will eat them in front of me. You can tell the difference because normal poos are dry round pellets and cecals look like a wet bunch of grapes. :wave:

Hi,

As far I research bout this, that we don't normally see rabbits eating those, right?
Are they normally eating it secretly or just certain time?

My boy is a young bunny, quite a fearless one too (running on slippery floor) and doesn't like to be picked up.
He seem really like to eat his cecotropes in front of us or next to us like on a sofa, then left some pellets/dropping around the sofa too, which I don't know whether this pellet is actually left over cecotropes or just normal pellet.

I still pretty new with rabbit so still can't really tell the difference yet between those.

is this normal behavior for rabbit?

thanks

Mine will eat them in front of me. I think it's more they aren't generally seen eating them because they usually eat them during the nighttime.

Was the leftover poo shiny and glossy and a bit squidgy, looking a bit like a miniature bunch of grapes, or was it drier on the outside?

Ah, so cecotropes are connecting like grapes?not like normal poo, one by one?
Think the left over are quite dry.

How many times a day they actually eat those? Seem sometimes I see more than twice a day.

What happened if they don't eat all of the cecotropes? Think before I ever saw some small size lookalike poo but bit sticky and stick together like grapes near the litterbox.

Ah, so cecotropes are connecting like grapes?not like normal poo, one by one?
Think the left over are quite dry.

How many times a day they actually eat those? Seem sometimes I see more than twice a day.

What happened if they don't eat all of the cecotropes? Think before I ever saw some small size lookalike poo but bit sticky and stick together like grapes near the litterbox.

Mine tend to have periods of around half an hour around midday and midnight when they bump their heads up and down eating them. Sometimes they look zoned out just before and you watch them wondering what's up and then they duck their head down and have a good chomp :lol:

If they don't eat their cecals it can be a sign of something up, either digestive (diet too rich usually), or mobility (not being able to reach them), or dental (pain when eating).

Back