• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Do I Need...

Stumpy

Alpha Buck
Whisky is going in for her spay on Monday and I’m going shopping this weekend to get anything I will need for her.

I have a medium dog crate for her to live in for the week and I have one blanket and know I need to get some more but is there anything else you found helpful when your rabbits were spayed? :)

Her favourite foods, to get her back to normal eating - Finx went nuts for parsley after her spay, it was the only thing she'd eat at first! :thumb:

When I got our bunny spayed, she lived in the carry case (with the door open) over night for 2 nights then was itching to get back outside with her friend so off she went! she was very groggy for 24 hrs though and didnt want to eat much.

I would always suggest having some 'recovery' and a syringe to hand just incase you need to feed her anything or to hydrate. This is just something I always have to hand as a just in case emergency.

Hope she gets on ok!!

Just the one snugglesafe will be enough, I only had one and put it in for the night as temperatures naturally drop in the night.

Have an old blanket or something to cover the cage with at night; it'll make her feel safer because she'll be closed in then, especially if she normally sleeps in a hutch or a covered/closed bed chamber. Don't leave lights/radios on for her at night as that's totally unnecesssary.

If she won't take her painkillers after spay, you can mix it into some mashed banana if you like. Mine didn't like that so I gradually squirted it onto their normal pellet food which is absorbent. Took ages but it worked and I popped a few unsoaked ones in as well and that's how Thumper had her meds. Coco simply sucked the syringe dry as she loved the stuff!

Fave foods, including stuff they shouldn't have a lot of i.e. carrots, apples, anything to encourage her to eat. Don't panic for the first 24 hours though if she's not eating too much as that's natural. You might need to take her water to her though; we did and they then drank quite a bit. Wee will go everywhere so protect your floor with plastic sheet (we cut open bin bags) and then put newspaper on top, so the cage sat on that.

Good luck!

A big bowl or hay rack to put enough hay into for her, as she wont be able to have it in her tray or as bedding as she's not allowed to lie on it at first.
Critical care or supreme recovery & a syringe.
All her favourite herbs and veg, so you can offer a selection to tempt her to eat.

I'd make sure her crate is in as quiet a place as possible, as she is not used to household noises and they may stress her. To be honest I dont think she really needs to be brought inside at all.

I have noticed that my buns like to return to their normal living accommodation. They feel 'at home' and relax better. Their favourite food after the op is grass. I wonder why? (joke).

A big bowl or hay rack to put enough hay into for her, as she wont be able to have it in her tray or as bedding as she's not allowed to lie on it at first.
Critical care or supreme recovery & a syringe.
All her favourite herbs and veg, so you can offer a selection to tempt her to eat.

I'd make sure her crate is in as quiet a place as possible, as she is not used to household noises and they may stress her. To be honest I dont think she really needs to be brought inside at all.

I beg to differ on this. My 2 girls live outside in a hutch but their vet specifically advised me to have them indoors for a full 2 weeks after their spay so we could keep an eye on them. The household noises didn't bother them; they were in the utility room and not the lounge. When we entered the utility, we spoke to them so they could hear us before they could see us. After a couple of days we opened the crate door so that they could come out and move around a little - also gave us the chance to clean out their crate/cage as it was a right mess. By keeping them indoors you are far more able to spot a problem quicker; check on them when you put the kettle on, when you do a meal, go to do the laundry (our washing machine's in the utility which didn't bother them one iota either). Being cooped up in the crate in their shed will drive them nuts. They can't be allowed to go into their hutch if it has a ladder in as it'll stretch and possibly re-open their wound. Also, don't allow her to jump over/onto anything either. She will, after about 48 hours, move around as normal but don't let her stretch, jump or climb as she could damage her wound. Mine weren't at all concerned about being in the utility one little bit. I think they quite enjoyed the extra attention to be honest!

Thank you for all your help and advice :) i will do my very best for Whisky and hope it all goes well

Everything crossed for a smooth op :D I would also just add to expect her to be quiet when she comes home and would advise just leaving her alone to rest and not trying to force feed her too early - can you imagine how you would feel if someone tried to force you to eat a full meal the same evening after you had a hysterectomy? So unless there are specific reasons to worry or think that something is wrong, it is perfectly normal to expect her to be quiet and not want to interact or eat until the following day.

She definitely does need to come inside after the op even if only for a day or two. General anaesthetic means that bunnies cannot regulate their body temperatures properly until it fully wears off and gets out of their system, so they need to be indoors to avoid them becoming hypothermic and really suffering because of the temperature. It is still dropping off to a couple of degrees overnight so it is definitely far too cold to return her to outdoors straight away. give her a bowl of water, as being well hydrated will help to flush the drugs through, and many bunnies find a bowl far easier after an op.

Good luck, sounds as if you are well prepared. X

Back