• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this scared or something else?

catherine09

Mama Doe
The two new bunnies I've taken on this week are settling in okay. As they are in a hutch I unfortunately have to lift them into the run and back in the hutch. They really aren't used to human contact but have been getting more and more friendly towards me every day as I open the hutch door and sit and talk to them and feed them pellets.

However, Jessie, seems to be acting strange. She constantly grunts at me (well it's more a high pitched grunt like she is scared) and this is made worse by the fact I am lifting her to and from run (not ideal I know but the only way they can get exercise temporarily). She does it as soon as I open the hutch doors/step into the run and almost goes into a panic mode. Today I tried to usher her into the carrier to lift her but if anything that made her more scared. She also stamps at me when I walk past the hutch, usually after I've put her back in from the run/grooming but occasionally randomly too.

Woody is better, he doesn't grunt at all and is generally more friendly, but occasionally joins in Jessie in the stamping (which isn't great as it scares my guinea pigs who are above them).

Is it just a case of carrying on as I am and eventually they will learn that I'm not going to hurt them, or (I'm thinking) I should stop putting them in the run for now until they calm down a bit. Their hutch is 8 x 3 so very big but doesn't really make up for the fact there is no run. (also I can't attach a run to the front as the hutch is too high and on grass so not practical unfortunately :( )

You need to give them much longer to get used to their new home and owner. Some bunnies take a long time to settle in.

You need to give them much longer to get used to their new home and owner. Some bunnies take a long time to settle in.

They do sort of know me - they belonged to a family member who wasn't caring for them properly so it was usually left to me to feed and clean them out. It seems that in their new surroundings they're not that happy. I just don't want to keep them confined for too long if I can help it.......:?

I am thinking perhaps they are more alert as they can sense other bunnies in the garden, if Hettie thumps because a cat is in the garden the other two will start too. Whether that's cos Hettie is thumping or whether it's because they can see the cat is anybody's guess!! :lol:

Back