• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

pts for persistent eye ulcers

I think it needs to be a decision made on a case by case basis, taking into account the whole picture-other health issues, frequency of flare ups, Rabbit's response to and tolerance of treatment etc. Personally I dont think anyone can answer the question 'is that a reasonable outcome' based on 'persistent eye ulcers' alone. There will never be the same 'right' answer for every case.

Is there an option to remove the eye? Has all types of treatment been exhausted?

I had a cat and a guinea pig with repetitive ulcers which must be extremely painful but opted for removal of the eye instead of pts, they both had many more years after happy and pain free. So it's worth exploring all the options first and maybe get a second opinion if gut instinct is saying no.

:wave:

It was suggested for our Summer as she had so many treatments and nothing worked. She was in so much pain she had a head tilt most of the time. Even though she was 9 years old we opted for eye removal instead which went really well. Unfortunately a few months later she developed a tumour inside her other eye and we had to let her go, but if it that hadn't happened I am sure the eye removal would have given her a lot more quality time

Is there an option to remove the eye? Has all types of treatment been exhausted?

I had a cat and a guinea pig with repetitive ulcers which must be extremely painful but opted for removal of the eye instead of pts, they both had many more years after happy and pain free. So it's worth exploring all the options first and maybe get a second opinion if gut instinct is saying no.

:wave:

Thanks for the replies :wave:

Gut instinct is saying no, as I feel there has not been enough treatment.

we had a blind dutch called .."mr bump":)...he was blind when we adopted him. we didnt ever find out why he was blind but the charity had treated it and couldnt find the cause. he was about 2 when we got him and lived to be 5..he died of a brain tumour:cry:
he lived a very happy life without his sight:p and anyone who saw him wouldnt have guessed he was blind the way he darted about:love:
i think gut instinct always ....

Back